Red Rock Induced Nail Bed Soreness - Any Tips on Prevention?

Original Post
Bob Johnson · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined May 2014 · Points: 83

I get a lot of soreness in the nail bed after climbing in Red Rock for a day or two. It starts to become really unbearable after the third day or so. Do the locals have any tips on how to alleviate/prevent this? Also, why does this only happen to me in Red Rock? Is it due to the gritty sand getting underneath my fingernails? Seems like thoroughly washing the fingertips followed by moisturizer could be helpful. Too bad I don't really do this until it's too late...

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Bob Johnson wrote:

I get a lot of soreness in the nail bed after climbing in Red Rock for a day or two. It starts to become really unbearable after the third day or so. Do the locals have any tips on how to alleviate/prevent this? Also, why does this only happen to me in Red Rock? Is it due to the gritty sand getting underneath my fingernails? Seems like thoroughly washing the fingertips followed by moisturizer could be helpful. Too bad I don't really do this until it's too late...

Seems like you answered your own question.

Josh Lipko · · Charlotte · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 10

My skin is still in terrible shape after being back in NC from Zion and Red Rock for nearly two weeks. It happens every trip out there. I have been using O'Keefe's Working Hands lotion and Burts Bees cuticle cream. My guess is the volume of climbing but definitely the dry air out there compared to NC 

Paul Morrison · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 0

If you use chalk, stop. Chalk just makes it worse.

I think that Josh Lipko is onto something with respect to the dry climate. Since I've been in Las Vegas I've developed chronic chapping, callusing, and fissuring on my feet, which can make climbing bloody, painful, and even impossible. It requires purposeful periodic interventions: soaking in epsom salts and exfoliating, followed by regular applications of O'Keefe's lotion, and a regrettable eschewal of sandals in favor of shoes and socks.

WMcD · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 170

Okeefe's working hands. It's in a green container on the paint aisle at home depot. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply