Mountain Project Logo

Gunks-High E-#4 Cam

Original Post
Cynthia Leonardo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Hi guys, I overcammed my #4 on the second pitch of high E. If anyone could get it out for me, that would be greatly appreciated! Would be willing to trade for tacos!

shoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 75
Cynthia Leonardo wrote:

Hi guys, I overcammed my #4 on the second pitch of high E. If anyone could get it out for me, that would be greatly appreciated! Would be willing to trade for tacos!

It's great if someone manages to get this back to you, but it's worth noting that the accepted culture for gear left behind, excepting unusual circumstances (such as an accident), is that gear left behind is considered "booty" i.e. you leave behind your claim to that gear when you leave it behind on the wall. If someone finds it, it's considered theirs for the keeping. It's often considered bad form to ask for your gear back, especially after a day, because it's considered no longer yours. As such, if someone does get a hold of you with that cam, they are effectively gifting you their cam.

Not all agree with that set of "rules," but that's the dominant culture, and worth considering. I do hope you manage to find it. You would be far, far from the first person to leave behind gear on High E. I've even come across a set of 4 cams there once, though worth noting that I ran into the party later and gave them their lost gear back.

Daniel Kaye · · Boston, ma · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 415

I wouldn't say it's bad form to ask...

some people are nice.

but also some people don't go on MP.

good luck!

Edit also interesting:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft_by_finding

Artem B · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 0

I'll return any booty I find if I know of the owner. Hell, I'll even post to the local climbing forum that I found a gear in an area and if they tell me what it is I'll give it back to them. I do this because it's the decent human thing to do. Just because something is the way it is doesn't mean it's right.

shoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 75
Artem B wrote:

I'll return any booty I find if I know of the owner. Hell, I'll even post to the local climbing forum that I found a gear in an area and if they tell me what it is I'll give it back to them. I do this because it's the decent human thing to do. Just because something is the way it is doesn't mean it's right.

Agreed in general, but let's not turn this thread into the millionth thread about the validity of booty rules. I am merely mentioning something that the poster may not already know about how their post may be received.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply