Mountain Project Logo

Kid friendly partner, normal partner, 10/11 - 10/16.

Original Post
Paul L · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 135

A bit of a long shot here, maybe, but I am going to be in town visiting family with my 4 year old son and am wanting to get out to explore RR a bit.  

My son enjoys climbing in the gym, but has not climbed outside.  Last time we were in Vegas I went climbing and he hiked with the grandparents but this time he says he wants to climb, too.  I'm hoping to find someone that wouldn't mind climbing with the flexibility that comes with a 4 year old for a short day/morning/evening.   This could mean that you and I can do some single pitching, lead or TR, trad (5.7-5.10-) or sport (<5.11-) while he watches, and/or potentially setting an easy top-rope (<5.6) so the kiddo can give it a try.  It's quite possible we'll get out there and he'll have no interest in climbing anything but only scrambling about.  

This is not babysitting, I'll only do this if one grandparent can come along to help with that end of things.  I'd just like another set of experienced hands to belay in case my son does want to climb but freezes up 15 feet off the ground and I need to solo up to hep him down or something along those lines, and also because I know he likes to watch others climb and we could still get a few routes in with him along.  

In addition, I'd like to get one other day of climbing in without my son.  Sport or trad, single or multi-pitch (intermediate).  Ideally this could be the same person and we could do the family day one morning, feel each other out and plan an objective for the next or another day.  

I have climbed RR once before, single pitch only, so do not know the park well at all.  I will have rope, rack and book with me.  Thursday-Monday are all available. Weekday seems like it may be preferable from a crowd stand point.  

If you'd be up for this text five O three seven five 2 eight O four O  or message me here. 

Thanks!

Kevin Foote · · Longmont, CO · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Paul, I liked the refreshing post :-) Sorry won't be anywhere near RR anytime soon but I enjoyed reading and now knowing that there are others who take their kidos out to get on rock. 

Paul L · · Portland, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 135

Thanks, Kevin.  The little dude asks, and I definitely want to encourage the exploration.   

Found a partner for the day (Thanks Joe!!), but as predicted the little guy was more interested in digging in the sand and stacking rocks in the end.  Worthwhile none-the-less.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Kid friendly partner, normal partner, 10/11 - 1…"
in the Nevada Partners