Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Any advice for coaching young climbers?

Original Post
Anson Call · · Provo, UT · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 30

Hey everyone, I was recently asked to help coach some high-school age kids at our local gym. I want to help the kids learn to enjoy climbing and to get better. My main struggles are 1) learning how to give good beta -- this is the toughest one for me, since some of them are 70-pound teenage girls and my own beta doesn't translate very well at all, 2) designing effective training plans, and 3) building excitement. I naturally have a pretty passive (boring?) personality, so connecting with these buzzing little teens is kind of a challenge. Most of the kids on my team are 5.10-5.12 climbers - there is another, more advanced group in our gym that trains separately for the competition circuit. Our gym manager said the focus of my team should be getting better and having fun, and competing in the occasional local comp. 

Any tips, advice, suggestions? Also, should the kids be using ATCs or GriGris? -Just kidding

Mike Brady · · Van Diesel, OR · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 668

3) Good luck with that and hopefully they are stoked enough and you won't have to make it fun.....it just will be

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,800

Find the article on this very topic that Climbing mag ran about a year ago. It had some good points about how adolescents aren't just small adults, in ways that are very relevant to training for climbing.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Any advice for coaching young climbers?"
in the General Climbing