Mountain Project Logo

Camping at Shortoff

Original Post
Curtis Baird · · Johnson City, TN · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 1,041

Beta on camping? Looked like you could camp at the top of the cliff but do you need a permit?

Nick Hitchcock · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 46

how did i know this was you....check the pisgah national forest page for the grandfather mountain district.  They should have information on wilderness camping permits.  Or you can call they have been extremely helpful in the past. 

Emmett Lyman · · Stoneham, MA (Boston burbs) · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 480

We camped on top of the cliff. When you'll get there you'll know that's the right call. No permits required back in April, but I think they might be needed ~May 1 so best to check.

Lewis L · · Asheville, NC · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 347

Permits are required on the weekend onlyuntil the end of October. You can get them from the information cabin - a really long way from the Shortoff trailhead - or you could try and call the district office.  That has had mixed results in my experience. 

You don’t need any permits to camp at the trailhead parking. Everybody bitches about the approach, but it’s only 1.25 miles to the descent gully. 

DavisMeschke Guillotine · · Pinedale, WY · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 225

I used to camp on top of Table Rock or at the parking lot near the trailhead. Like Lewis said, either way, the descent gully is incredibly close. There's also some nice camping by the river on the road going up to the parking lot.

Will Maness · · Terrebonne, OR · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 115

Just camp at the trailhead, you can be at the bottom of your route within an hour.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern States
Post a Reply to "Camping at Shortoff"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started