RIP Hayden Kennedy

Original Post
DCarey · · Missoula · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 15

Based on Instagram posts from Chris Schulte, Andrew Burr, and Marko Prezelj, it seems that Hayden Kennedy has passed away. Details are lacking but it sounds like an avalanche around Bozeman was the cause. My condolences go out to the Kennedy family. The guy was an absolute badass, and way too young. 

Emmett Lyman · · Somerville, MA · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 355

Such a loss. Hard to even comprehend. Thoughts are with his father and family.

Jordan Moore · · Berthoud, CO · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 80

That's incredibly sad news. I met Hayden a couple times. He struck me as one of the great ones. I always admired his lifestyle and drive in the mountains. You fit a lot of living into your life, Hayden. 

User76 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 0

from a post on supertopo. Taken from his recent article on eveningsends

"Over the last few years, however, as I’ve watched too many friends go to the mountains only to never return, I’ve realized something painful. It’s not just the memorable summits and crux moves that are fleeting. Friends and climbing partners are fleeting, too. This is the painful reality of our sport, and I’m unsure what to make of it. Climbing is either a beautiful gift or a curse."

- Hayden Kennedy

jon jugenheimer · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 2,114

They are not saying names, but this could be the how and where.  I heard that his GF was the other skier  

kck · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 85

This is so sad. I never met Hayden, but saw a few videos of him and he seemed like a great guy. I had saved his recent article on evening sends. It would almost be eerie to read it now.

Gone too soon. My sincerest condolences.

aikibujin · · Castle Rock, CO · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 290

So sad. I've really enjoyed his interviews on Enormocast. Condolences to his families and friends.

Gabe B. · · Madison, WI · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 88

He was super inspiring. RIP.

JohnnyG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 10

I truly enjoyed reading his article on eveningsends just last week. Such sad news. Huge loss. My condolences to his friends and especially his family. Rest in peace, Hayden.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 650

Sad way to start Tuesday. 

Keatan · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 20

Reports are that Inge Perkins was the other skier. Condolences to those close to both of them. RIP

Drew Spaulding · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 3,313

Really sad for Hayden and everyone involved. My heart goes out to his parents, family members and friends. Speechless.... sounds like it released from above,,?? F#ck!!??

Peter nichols · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 50

Hoping that this is a mistake. Feeling gut punched, teary. 

brian burke · · santa monica, ca · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 115

an amazing human.  such a sad event. 

Jon Frisby · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 100
Keatan wrote:

Reports are that Inge Perkins was the other skier. Condolences to those close to both of them. RIP

I'm seeing on Facebook that Inge died as well. Met them a couple times in Rifle. Massive joy for life. Really horrible

Aidan Goldie · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 145

An incredibly friendly and warm person. Have never met anyone more stoked on climbing or being in the mountains. His passion was contagious and this was reflected in in this climbing resume. Completely gutted, what a loss. 

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340
Jon Frisby wrote:

I'm seeing on Facebook that Inge died as well. Met them a couple times in Rifle. Massive joy for life. Really horrible

oh man that's a bummer, read she was only a partial burial and they had high hopes of her making it. :(

Kyle Elliott · · Everett, WA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 375

Dang. Terrible news. Was definitely a fan of his boldness. Our community has lost some big names in the last few years. :(

Jon Frisby · · Brooklyn, NY · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 100
BigB wrote:

oh man that's a bummer, read she was only a partial burial and they had high hopes of her making it. :(

I don't have confirmation. Really hope you're right

Creed A · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 775

At the 2015 Climbers Festival, I attended Hayden's clinic and had the opportunity to rope up with him and learn from him. While we were climbing at Wild Iris, there was another clinic happening nearby ran by a beautiful blond crusher that I believe was Inge Perkins. Hayden was complaining about how no girls signed up for his clinic. I remember saying, "You should go chat up Inge." He didn't know who she was. I explained that she was a 5.14 badass. (I didn't know her, but had heard her speak.) Hayden decided to go meet her. It's possible I am confusing Inge Perkins with someone else, but I don't think I am. I felt awful to hear of Hayden's death. Now thinking that maybe I facilitated his meeting with Inge and that they possibly died together is a very uncomfortable thought. 

Hayden was a visionary and an inspiration to us lanky guys. RIP and condolences to his friends and family. 

mtngrrl · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 0

What a loss to the larger climbing family. Sending love to Michael and Julie and all who knew Hayden.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply