Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

J Tree camping 16-19

Original Post
NickV82 · · Hopatcong, NJ · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

I'm heading out to Joshua Tree with some friends next week from the 16-19. Never been there before and didn't realize there was a climbing festival the 13-15. Will it be possible to get a campsite in Hidden Valley or Ryan, or do you think everything will be filled up? Any recommendations on some moderate climbs? 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

Nick, 

You should be able to find a campsite, since you're going midweek. As long as you arrive early enough in the day (noon?)

Get a guidebook for climb recommendations. Use the star/quality ratings to pick 'em.

Jason Kim · · Encinitas, CA · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 255

I wouldn't count on getting a site at HV but you should be able to find something at Jumbo Rocks if you are there on Monday morning.  I usually have best luck between 7-9 am.  There is BLM land outside the park if you get skunked on the first day, and then you can try again on Tuesday morning.  You'll probably be fine, though.

What sort of climbs are you looking to do?  Cracks, slab, bolts?  Are you guys setting up top ropes for a group or leading and following stuff?  

Forever Outside · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 240

The climbing festival atendees will not be camping inside the park, they camp outside in a private space. 

NickV82 · · Hopatcong, NJ · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

I was looking to do some cracks, but if there's some good routes to top rope, it would probably be good to do as a group too. I have 2 guide books coming in the mail tomorrow. 

wing thing · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 80

Not knowing your skill level, the thin wall, atlantis wall, and buckets to burbank wall may be ok for a small group. Those walls also have a way to set up routes via an easier scramble. The Trad Guide to Joshua Tree has a lot of moderate routes listed for your introduction to J. Tree.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "J Tree camping 16-19 "
in the Southern California