Mountain Project Logo

Driveability of roads to black mountain

Original Post
Tianyu Yao · · San Diego · Joined May 2017 · Points: 15

I haven't been to Black mountain before and my car is a Nissan Altima with like 8" of clearance, how reasonable is it to take my car up Black mountain?

Thanks!

Verg · · Fullerton, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 50

Not sure how your Altima has that much ground clearance... Usually 8" is typical for trucks/SUV vehicles. My Rav 4 has 7.5" min ground clearance. 

However, I saw a Yaris up there Saturday. There is only one part of the road that is particularly rutted out. 

Tianyu Yao · · San Diego · Joined May 2017 · Points: 15

Hmm maybe I misestimated the clearance on my car, there is very little space and probably much less than 8 inches.

Thomas Raben · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

the road has taken a bit of a beating since i was regraded earlier this season and there are a couple of sections that aren't so friendly. However I saw a prius and a minivan up there 2 weeks ago so it can be done. But you'll probly have to drive slowly and strategically

Also saw an oil spill that looked like someone puncturing their oil pan and leaked oil on the way up. YMMV

Alex Lombardo · · Davis, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 115

You should be fine if you have experience driving on dirt roads with occasional deep ruts. As Verg said, there's really only one particularly bad part of the road. Also, you could avoid that stretch entirely by climbing at OK Corral all day, or parking there and hitching a ride with someone/hiking up to the Basin and beyond.

Verg · · Fullerton, CA · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 50
wing thing · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 80

I have a Nissan Altima also. It has very low clearance, unfortunately. I had to replace my shocks after taking a trip to Holcomb pinnacles. I don't recommend taking an Altima up to Black Mountain unless you're willing to have a lot of repairs done to it after going there.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Southern California
Post a Reply to "Driveability of roads to black mountain"