So you're at the crag when someone shows up with a drone and begins flying it near you. Does this bug you? What do you do?

Joe Lindberg · · Denver, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 0
s.price wrote:

An "accidently" dropped quickdraw can take one out of the sky and be rationalized by being in an agitated state of mind due to the close proximity of the drone. Just sayin....

Woah! That was weird, either I am having the oddest Deja vu of my life, or you've written this before.

Jake Jones · · Richmond, VA · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 1,430

I ask them to send me some sweet ass airborne footage of me.  If they don't oblige, I proceed to tell them how inconsiderate they are for ruining my outdoor experience.

s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,348
Joe Lindberg wrote:

Woah! That was weird, either I am having the oddest Deja vu of my life, or you've written this before.

Not Deja Vu. I am not anti drone. I use one for work all the time. But flying up on strangers without consent in any setting is not cool. 

Joe Platko · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 10

Let’s see, I’ve experienced overly protective bears with cubs, rattle snakes, copperheads (the snake kind), rockfalls, swarming fire ants, hornets, sketchy fixed rappel lines, quarter-inch bolts with homemade hangers, ... and drones.  When it comes to climbing, drones don’t even register. 

Chris Blatchley · · Somerville, MA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 0
TBlom wrote:

Just a thought:

radio jamming is very illegal. not that you can actually buy one of those but it's a really bad idea to try.

mediocre · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2013 · Points: 0
s.price wrote:

Not Deja Vu. I am not anti drone. I use one for work all the time. But flying up on strangers without consent in any setting is not cool. 

This

s.price wrote:

Mr. Price,

No offense was meant by my comment.  I seriously had a the most striking Deja Vu ever, just trying to wrap my mind around it.

Joe Lindberg wrote:

Mr. Price,

No offense was meant by my comment.  I seriously had a the most striking Deja Vu ever, just trying to wrap my mind around it.

No offense taken. Didn't even occur to me. Just want to be clear I am not just a drone hater. They have there place. The dropped quickdraw incident happened a couple of years ago Things got heated, cops got called. Since no intent on my part could be proved the matter was immediately dropped.

Do I feel bad about the wrecked drone? Not at all. I politely asked twice, not so politely another time to be given space. If you can't be considerate of other users in the area then do not expect consideration from me. 

Beean · · Canmore, AB · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0
Eric Wydeven wrote:

Thank you open carry laws.  Here in Texas I just pull out my gatt and blast that drone out of the sky. 

USA: The only country where pulling a gun before having a conversation is considered reasonable. 

Way to go. 

John Byrnes · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 451
Beean wrote:

USA: The only country where pulling a gun before having a conversation is considered reasonable. 

Beean, I agree with you for most situations.   But in the scenario I described above... who you gonna converse with?    The operators can be miles away.  They can "fuck with you" annonymously without any consequences and you have no reasonable course of action.    As I said, even a police officer can only wave his badge at it and if the operators want to ignore him, they can.   This is a problem that current laws and regulations do not address.

Adam Orton · · Moore · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

Drones should be banned everywhere except for those RC plane parks and you may ask “what if there’s not one near my house?” Suck it up buttercup. Get your fat “semi-professional cinema photographer” ass out in the real wild. It’s not right you get to put in very little effort while aiding in noise pollution and potential littering should you wreck the damn thing. While the rest of us work our ass off to really experience it and be in it. 

On a side note: just like the aid climbing rant on YouTube someone needs to make a drone rant, lol. 

jleining · · CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 33
Adam Orton wrote:

Drones should be banned everywhere except for those RC plane parks and you may ask “what if there’s not one near my house?” Suck it up buttercup. Get your fat “semi-professional cinema photographer” ass out in the real wild. It’s not right you get to put in very little effort while aiding in noise pollution and potential littering should you wreck the damn thing. While the rest of us work our ass off to really experience it and be in it. 

On a side note: just like the aid climbing rant on YouTube someone needs to make a drone rant, lol. 

oh yes because the way we experience the outdoors is the proper way, and thus all others forms are subservient to our way... 

Tony Kuropatwa · · Pa · Joined May 2017 · Points: 0

Here you folks while climbing this past weekend ( Delaware water gap ) Pa side  we were the only group on the pa side  while on the 2nd pitch of point of no return we here the buzzing of what sounds like a drone ( illegal in nation parks)  sure enough it’s a Damm Drone.......  it buzzed us a few times but could not see who was flying it ...... now the fun part this was are last climb of the day we get to top set up to rap down and we see car on road side with 3 people that appeared to be controlling the drone .... we rap hike back to truck to find park rangers with them ..... one approach us asking if we are with them. Nope we don’t know them......apparently they told the ranger they were with us filming ( why the F___ would they do that ) longer story shot after being detained for about an hour finally convincing rangers we are NOT with them didn’t know them .... rangers gave them a ticket and let us g on are way......

So Down this the Damm Drone ......next time it happens to us I’m taking in down

Happy Climbing 

Mark Waterous · · Aspen, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 385
jleining wrote:

oh yes because the way we experience the outdoors is the proper way, and thus all others forms are subservient to our way... 

How is flying a drone experiencing the outdoors? When I want to experience the ocean, I don't whip out an rc boat.

Adam Orton wrote:

This is not a legitimate argument. I maintain large ranches for a living. One of these is 7000 acres. We fly drones to check fence lines for damage among other things. This is much more efficient than riding a horse or atv. Less pollution than either as well. 40 acres with a perimeter fence is a mile of fence. Drones allow us to pinpoint problem areas which reduces time wasted. 

s.price wrote:

No offense taken. Didn't even occur to me. Just want to be clear I am not just a drone hater. They have there place. The dropped quickdraw incident happened a couple of years ago Things got heated, cops got called. Since no intent on my part could be proved the matter was immediately dropped.

Do I feel bad about the wrecked drone? Not at all. I politely asked twice, not so politely another time to be given space. If you can't be considerate of other users in the area then do not expect consideration from me. 

What was the outcome?  I can't imagine one 100g quickdraw could wreck one of those burly things.  Not trying to discredit, just curious.

Mark Waterous · · Aspen, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 385
Joe Lindberg wrote:

What was the outcome?  I can't imagine one 100g quickdraw could wreck one of those burly things.  Not trying to discredit, just curious.

You don't think a piece of metal capable of sustaining a 26kn force would win against drone blades? Birds can take down jet engines, for scale.

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Joe Lindberg wrote:

Anything that interferes with the rotors can take down a drone. Tangle just one quadcopter propeller/motor, then the quadcopter will crash as it requires all four propellers spinning to stay in the air.  A 1/4 lb QD can do it easily.

In this video (start at the 3:15 mark), a water stream takes down a DJI Spark:

Adam Orton · · Moore · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0
s.price wrote:

This is not a legitimate argument. I maintain large ranches for a living. One of these is 7000 acres. We fly drones to check fence lines for damage among other things. This is much more efficient than riding a horse or atv. Less pollution than either as well. 40 acres with a perimeter fence is a mile of fence. Drones allow us to pinpoint problem areas which reduces time wasted. 

Sorry mate but there a difference between doing it as a JOB and doing it for the enjoyment of it.In an age where the coolest picture wins, drone operators are trying to win but it’s ok I know they’ll never experience what we do by actually touching the soil, rock, water, powder. So in the end fuck em, they may have a cool picture but the story behind how they attained it is so damn boring. Put the electronics away when you’re outside and just enjoy it. 

Adam Orton wrote:

Sorry mate but there a difference between doing it as a JOB and doing it for the enjoyment of it.In an age where the coolest picture wins, drone operators are trying to win but it’s ok I know they’ll never experience what we do by actually touching the soil, rock, water, powder. So in the end fuck em, they may have a cool picture but the story behind how they attained it is so damn boring. Put the electronics away when you’re outside and just enjoy it. 

Of course it is different.  You said banned everywhere. That is where the argument came up short for me. If you read my previous posts you will see I feel the same as you and am probably the only one here who has done something about it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply