Mountain Project Logo

Motorcycle communication systems for climbing?

Original Post
Pavel Burov · · Russia · Joined May 2013 · Points: 50

Hi! Is there anybody have tried to utilize motorcycle communication systems (e.g., Sena 20S EVO - https://www.sena.com/product/20s-evo/#overview ) in multi-pitch or big wall climbing? For sure I am not interested in BlueTooth functionality, but intercom (like walkie-talkie).

How does it integrate into climbing helmet? How good or bad voice quality is (e.g. due to the wind)? How convenient is it overall?

PatMas · · Tulsa, OK · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

I have never used it for climbing but I do use it on my motorcycle and they are a pretty sweet set up for that purpose. I would actually recommend the smaller low profile version SMH10R. The bigger ones get caught on everything even on a motorcycle helmet. I can even imagine having the bigger bulbous one on a climbing helmet trying to get through a chimney. 

These are gonna be way more expensive than a standard walkie talkie. And if you have more than one partner, will be very time consuming to move from helmet to helmet. 

Bottom line: Don’t do it. Either yell or get a decent walkie set from Best Buy.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,535

I used to use walkie talkies and then just got over the hassle of it- between batteries and channel surfing when you're in really popular areas like Yosemite, it's just not worth it.

better, imho, to just have a plan in the case of not being able to hear your partner.

Jason4Too · · Bellingham, Washington · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 0

I've been really happy with using BCA radios with the mic clipped to a pack strap and the radio itself in my pack.  Either that or simul-climbing roulette (are you or aren't you?).  

Good communication is key in the mountains.

Pavel Burov · · Russia · Joined May 2013 · Points: 50

Simul-climbing is kinda the way to go on alpine routes. For sure we do it a lot. Although I do not feel any need in some voice communications when simul-climbing. It is more about windy wandering wall routes. Also it is about arboristic work. Kinda trying to fugure out is there any universal solution for both worlds. Something like http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?item=5688 with integrated Sena communication system. How convenient it could be in alpine walls applications.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Motorcycle communication systems for climbing?"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion