Including more races in climbing. which to choose? which to avoid?

Original Post
Michael P · · Pittsburgh · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 75

Due to genetics and past sports, i have pretty strong legs and like negative upper body muscle.  These same factors that leave me thrutching up 5.8s and 5.9s despite climbing for 2 years, also make me a pretty good runner.  So I've been thinking about including some races in climbing training.  I did a half marathon two years ago and enjoyed it but i was wondering-- are there any races that complement rock climbing?  

It seems like i know more climbers who do marathons and ultras than 5ks and sprints.  Is there some synergy between long distance races and climbing?  Which race should i choose?

Thanks,

Mike

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 85

I thought you meant races of PEOPLE and I was like ".... well, that's not very nice."

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was an offshoot of the "inclusivity" thread. 

Robert Michael · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 116
FrankPS wrote:

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was an offshoot of the "inclusivity" thread. 

Same here. I'm a little disappointed.

I think aerobic exercise is good in that it's a good way to just slim down if you have extra fat. I don't think super long distance will do much for you because it will add more glycogen weight to your legs. 

Rprops · · North Las Vegas · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 136

Choose a lighter race. Some races are too violent, it seems. And it's just where they come from and has to do with their roots.  It's cultural really.  Like those Mudder Fuggers or whatever they're called.  Those races barely seem human, and haven't been around civilized society long enough to have the refined rules and traditions of some of the lighter, more historically rich races seem to have acquired. 

Rprops · · North Las Vegas · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 136

And whatever race you choose, stick to it!  Don't go doing something pedestrian one week and then go seeking something more exotic the next.  I wouldn't be caught dead mixing the races.  It just isn't right.

Joe Prescott · · Fort Collins · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 20

Change the title!

ViperScale · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 235

Try car races go do some lemons races they are fun.

Russ Keane · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 140

Only northern european need apply.

Jordan Mitchell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 45

Kill this fucking thread with fire. 

AndrewArroz · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10

These races will really help your climbing. 

Artem B · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 0

Train for ultras and learn to alpine climb. If you can slog for 18 hours up snow slopes you can do some really rad stuff.

ViperScale · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 235

Ok so who wants to go with me to japan for the olympics and either take one of the holds off the wall or spin one of them 90 degrees. I think it would be so funny for them to go flying up the wall only to find the route they have climbed 1000 times is changed.

Kyle Taylor · · Atlanta Ga · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Cycling! Ride a bike.

trailridge · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 20

I am triggered by your thread title.  Race is a description of people not an athletic event!

highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion · · Colorado · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 35

I think they all hinder your climbing. Done a couple Ironmans, a few more marathons, raced road bikes for 10 years. That all pretty much kept me climbing lousy.

I didn't improve much until I quit racing and climbed more. Fitness is fine but it won't get you past what you've already done. Climb a lot, don't avoid long approaches, don't get fat, and try hard. It'll get you further than any race.

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5

I'm partial to the kind where you put a thousand rubber duckies in a creek. 

Guaranteed not to build any leg muscle. 

Em Cos wrote:

I'm partial to the kind where you put a thousand rubber duckies in a creek. 

Guaranteed not to build any leg muscle. 

What happens with the duckies? 

Em Cos · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 5
caesar.salad wrote:

What happens with the duckies? 

The winner, if lucky, might land a sponsorship deal. The rest do their best to soothe their battered egos. Some throw themselves into training for next year, others, sadly, lose themselves in a bottle. Most, however, transition smoothly into a quiet bathtub retirement. 

Muscrat · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 3,610

Could you possibly change the title to "include more RACING...", 

PLEASE.

To answer your question, i believe it is pretty well understood that unless you are doing some specific climb, NIAD comes to mind, the wisdom is if you can walk up a flight of stairs you can climb, especially in the <5.10 range. It is not leg strength or stamina holding you back, it is core and upper body.

Just my .02

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply