Mountain Project Logo

Temps this weekend (Oct 7-8)

Howard · · Costa Mesa, CA · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 2,695

In all seriousness, trolls aside I'd appreciate solid input from a decent human being.

Megin Olson wrote:

Good use of emojis as "sorry - not sorry." 

So ticks are exactly your climbing ability?  

Not gonna lie: pretty lame behavior by Josh Janes as an admin.  Then again, that's what I'd heard about him.

Cool.  Joe Herbst routes typically are memorable.  I like the obscurities.  Even when they're easy, they often make up with adventure.

Not sure if it's shaded but I've heard good things about Healy's Haunted House.  It's purportedly not actually run out, either.

Yeah, I've done that.  It was interesting and definitely not easy for a Red Rock .9.

phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,102

pretty lame behavior by Josh Janes as an admin

I thought his posts were really funny!

Poor Howard, you just don't seem to get it.  "Moderate" and "easy" are totally meaningless words as far as communication between strangers, as a few people have tried to explain to you.  I have friends who use that word for 5.7.  I have friends who use that word for 5.13.  You describe CC as a classic moderate.  I do think it's a classic.  

Anything on Black Velvet Wall will be gorgeous temps.   From what you say you lead/follow on your profile, POD, DOWT, Sour Mash, are all routes that may work for you.  

phylp wrote:

pretty lame behavior by Josh Janes as an admin

I thought his posts were really funny!

Poor Howard, you just don't seem to get it.  "Moderate" and "easy" are totally meaningless words as far as communication between strangers, as a few people have tried to explain to you.  I have friends who use that word for 5.7.  I have friends who use that word for 5.13.  You describe CC as a classic moderate.  I do think it's a classic.  

Anything on Black Velvet Wall will be gorgeous temps.   From what you say you lead/follow on your profile, POD, DOWT, Sour Mash, are all routes that may work for you.  

Or maybe you don't get it.  Or are just playing dumb?  You could have easily named routes in all the time and words you typed before you did based on my profile-- which you quite easily just did.  Those are well known routes.  Thanks, anyway.

phylp phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 1,102

And you asked about Healy's.  I was just climbing in RR for a week and did a route on Angel Food one of the days.  It seems to be going in the shade by around 11 AM.

W L · · NEVADASTAN · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 851
Howard wrote:

Or maybe you don't get it.  Or are just playing dumb?  You could have easily named routes in all the time and words you typed before you did based on my profile-- which you quite easily just did.  Those are well known routes.  Thanks, anyway.

Hint: or maybe if you are the only person accusing everyone else of not getting it, chances are, you don't get it.

LOL

Weston L wrote:

Hint: or maybe if you are the only person accusing everyone else of not getting it, chances are, you don't get it.

LOL

Nice try.  Yeah, right.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340
Josh Janes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2001 · Points: 9,999

Howard and Megin: I'm just taking the piss. Not being mean, just making jokes - but that's my sense of humor. The answers you seek are easily available in any guidebook or even using some basic Mountain Project searches. If you want something handed to you on a platter, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to make some (legit) suggestions.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340
Josh Janes wrote:

Howard and Megin: I'm just taking the piss. Not being mean, just making jokes - but that's my sense of humor. The answers you seek are easily available in any guidebook or even using some basic Mountain Project searches. If you want something handed to you on a platter, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to make some (legit) suggestions.

.....don't go soft now

Adventure Chumps · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 20

Josh Janes wrote:

Howard, you may wish to consult Megin: She knows what's up!   

It looks like Megin is thinking that this book sucks and this climb is not fun.
Howard wrote:

Oh, but this is Red Rock and my recent ticks are in other areas like J Tree.  :D Like I placed 8 pieces the entire way on CC with extra weight leading every pitch. Fun moderate.

If you're looking for more fun easy routes like that, Epinephrine is the best kept secret in Red Rock.

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175
Josh Janes wrote:

Howard, you may wish to consult Megin: She knows what's up!   

[Photo deleted at the request of user]

LOL don't put mai pictur up!!  Even though it was online already!!11!!

John Hegyes · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2002 · Points: 5,676

I'm pretty sure that you'll find climbing in direct sunlight pretty uncomfortable this weekend with 80's forecast in town. It would, indeed, help to know what range of difficulty you are looking for. But I'll take a stab at some suggestions.

Willow Springs has a lot of good shady 1-pitch moderates. I'm thinking of Sleeper, Black Tracks, Little Big Horn, The Graduate, Plan X, Ragged Edges, etc. Short routes, short approaches, big fun.

Icebox has a number of single pitch moderates that get a lot of shade at certain times of the day at Sunnyside and Necromancer.

We just climbed Chasing Shadows in Pine Creek, which brings to mind Pine Nut, Y2K, Pauligk Pillar, Splitting Hares, Peyote Power and a lot of other routes on Mescalito. After noon would bring Black Widow Hollow, Cookie Monster, Walker Spur into play. Why not check out some routes on Magic Mountain like Community Pillar or Honeycomb Chimney? Great routes, not often climbed.

Black Velvet makes me think of The Misunderstanding, Miss Conception, Sand Felipe, Triassic Sands, Refried Brains, and all the great routes on the Black Velvet Wall. It might be crowded out there so bring beta for multiple routes and adapt to the prevailing conditions of the day. You're bound to find some available routes, just be flexible.

I'm not sure why things are so tense in this thread, but the OP is not going real far toward engendering good will with the locals. Maybe the fact is that the weather is finally getting nice and the hordes are about to descend upon our backyard, so that by demanding answers to the same old questions (while being quite vague about specifics) touches a raw nerve here. But to answer the original question, I've been climbing moderates all summer in Red Rock including the day it was 114 in town, so just do a little research and get on with your weekend already.

M O · · SoCal · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 45
Addem Bursh wrote:

LOL don't put mai pictur up!!  Even though it was online already!!11!!

Yup, Addem, learned my lesson.  New to this DB forums game.

Trad Princess · · Not That Into Climbing · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 1,175
Megin wrote:

Yup, Addem, learned my lesson.  New to this DB forums game.

I hear you Megan, the internet is hard.  Best advice I can give:

1. Always take yourself seriously 

2. Preface each post/picture with excuseplanations as to why you hung or look tired or your tape job looks amateur BEFORE anyone can mention it

3. Don't be that into climbing, take it from me

4.  Most importantly, never question or mock the juvenile and/or surferlike mentality that many apply to climbing, because you will hurt some feelings for sure.  Soft men masquerading as hard men!  Lol!

cheers!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Nevada
Post a Reply to "Temps this weekend (Oct 7-8)"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started