Mountain Project Logo

Lookin for Ice in the Twin Cities Over the Holidays

Original Post
JJ Calhoun · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 0

In MSP for the holidays.

Should I bring my tools or leave em at home? 

Any mixed opportunities within an hour-ish drive?

thanks.

-jj

Doug Hemken · · Madison, WI · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 6,094

Which holidays?  Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, President's Day?

Mackenzie Turner · · Maple Grove, MN · Joined Apr 2017 · Points: 0

Sandstone has decent mixed climbing, its around an hour and a half north of the cities

christmas and new years

and Boxer's Day.

Doug Hemken · · Madison, WI · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 6,094

sandstone!

cool. thanks yall.

Petroclimbsagain · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

Available ice during holidays in Twin Cities.  Pretty sure mixed isn't a problem with these guys.  

Just be on the lookout for whiskey plates late on the holiday nights.

Jordon · · Rochester · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 233

Winona MN has a brand new Ice park. It's not very big but its fun. Winona is about an hour and a half south of the cities along the Mississippi.

JOE HANRAHAN · · SAINT PAUL · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Any details on the ice park in Winona?  I haven’t found it yet.

Jordon · · Rochester · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 233

It's at Bluffside park in Winona. Bluffside is behind Dahl automotive on W Lake Blvd. There is a small pull off on the road behind Dahl auto where you can park. You'll be able to see the ice covered bluff from the pull off. From there it's easy to figure out, you walk north to the tree line and go up the trail for about 50ish feet. After the tree line, take the second left trail. This trail is a little steep and you have to climb over a 4 ft cliff, but it goes straight up to the ice park. You'll know you're there when you see the signs spelling out the rules to use the park. 

The white line I drew on maps starts at the pull-off parking and takes the approximate trail paths you'll take to get there 

JOE HANRAHAN · · SAINT PAUL · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Thank you Jordon!  This is great.  I looked around this  area on Google Maps but couldn’t find it.  I will definitely make the trip to the park this winter.

Mike Kubes · · Fort Collins CO · Joined May 2014 · Points: 171

Casket Quarry in Duluth is well worth the drive Up-North if your looking for a decent concentration of ice and mixed climbs in a small area.  Let me know if you're looking for a belay.  

Will be in the Twin Cities from Dec 23-Jan 7. 

My girlfriend and I will be looking to get out as much as we can to Sandstone and surrounding ice/mixed areas. Some days we will have transportation. Others we will not.

jjthejetplane88@gmail

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Lookin for Ice in the Twin Cities Over the Holi…"