Mountain Project Logo

Weekend Camping in Maple

Original Post
Eric Danner · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0

What are the chances of getting a camp spot down in maple on a weekend? what do you do if camping is not available? 

Thanks!

grog m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

Depends on the month, but pretty low chances of finding a spot on the weekend. If they are full, you keep driving over the ridge in to the free camping behind Maple. What kind of car do you have?

I have a rav4 and we are planning on going in October

grog m · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 70

October will be busy, its prime climbing time. The reason I ask about your car is because the ridge drive is not passable by a sedan. Your Rav4 will be fine. So drive through the campground looking for spots, if you dont see any keep going along the road, up over the saddle, and you will descend in to free camping. Its probably 15-20 minutes past maple. 

Happy climbing, and please leave no trace!!

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65

And follow bear habitat camping protocol. Two sites have been closed this season due to bear activity. 

Glenn Ritter · · Sandy, UT · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,300
edanner wrote:

What are the chances of getting a camp spot down in maple on a weekend? what do you do if camping is not available? 

Thanks!

Your chances would be very good between either the official campground or the private camping.  There have been open spots in Maple on weekends recently.   Weekdays is no problem (3/4 empty yesterday with perfect weather).  If you can't find a spot in the official campground your chances of finding one down canyon on the private land (donation boxes can be found) are pretty good.  A 2wd Rav4 (mine has been up there) can make it to the top where there is abundant camping, but road conditions vary and it is a bit rough so no guarantees.

Marc801 C wrote:

And follow bear habitat camping protocol. Two sites have been closed this season due to bear activity. 

I am bear aware. WE DON'T MESS AROUND WITH THAT. Thanks. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Weekend Camping in Maple"