Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Hammock sleeping, how much warmer of a sleeping bag do you need?

Original Post
stolo · · Shelby, NC · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 191

Sleeping in the car does not appeal to me with current vehicle and tent can be annoying to setup/find a spot. So, I often sleep in a hammock when on climbing weekends - trees everywhere in North Carolina and can setup practically anywhere and it is comfortable. 

In the winter it is cold though, so I get into two bags (one 25* and one 35*) w/ a jacket and base layers on. Most of the time this works... but with the wind and compression of the bag from hammock, lack of any sleeping pad as if in a tent, sometimes I am cold. It is also such a pain to get in and out of two bags just to pee!

I would like to get a single bag to use this winter. Since I am in a hammock, I need something rated warmer than one would normally use for the same temperature in a tent on a mat, just not sure what is the right balance of warmth/price/versatility is though. And I am not sure what my current rigged system actually translates into a normal sleeping bag rating. 

Does anyone have experience with this and can recommend a temp rating for hammock use during NC winter weather? 

Nicholas Young · · Spokane · Joined May 2015 · Points: 215

Using a sleeping pad under you bag in the hammock will make your temperature drop a lot less significant, and saves you a lot of money from buying unde4quilt or warmer bags. Still may be necessary to supplement for warmth though, as to what amount is up to you.

june m · · elmore, vt · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 41

I think an underquilt is the way to  go. Also also hang the hammock low and have the tarp  go to the ground. Some hammocks  have a pocket  for or a pad, that helps too

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Hammock sleeping, how much warmer of a sleeping…"
in the Community Forum