Mountain Project Logo

Hiding tick list from profile

Original Post
Eli Buzzell · · noco · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 5,507

I think it would be a nice feature to be able to hide your tick list or other things from your profile so that they can't be publicly seen. I keep a tick list for personal use, but feel like it is a measuring stick on the forums which can add to the sometimes toxic environment.

JD · · Southern AZ · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 95

+1

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 883

Agreed.

chris tregge · · Madison WI · Joined May 2007 · Points: 11,036

I don't really use the tick feature, but sometimes I look to see who has sent a route I'm thinking of trying.  Would your send/tick also be hidden if you click on the route?  Or just from your personal page?  

Andrew Poet · · Central AZ · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 161
Chris treggE wrote:

I don't really use the tick feature, but sometimes I look to see who has sent a route I'm thinking of trying.  Would your send/tick also be hidden if you click on the route?  Or just from your personal page?  

One option would be to economize your ticks so they just show up as "Anonymous Climber". This would still allow people to see how many sends a particular climb has.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 1,667
apoet wrote:

One option would be to economize your ticks so they just show up as "Anonymous Climber". This would still allow people to see how many sends a particular climb has.

Not quite the same. I don't particularly care how many sends a climb has, but I do sometimes want to know if specific people have sent it.

If I look at ticks on a specific route and try to make a decision about whether I want to try this route, or not (which I rarely do, but I HAVE done it), I would sometimes put different weight to different people's comments/ticks, depending on what I know of that person's height, climbing style, etc. These might not be people who are my close friends, but I know enough OF them to know that we climb similarly, like similar routes, etc. In other words, they are not people I could just randomly message and ask, hey, have yuo climbed this route, and what did you think of it?... we might have spoken once in real life... but I would like to know what they thought of a route.

I do think that if there was a way to make ticks on a personal info page private, but keep the ticks visible in individual routes, that would accomplish both goals.

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
Eli wrote:

I think it would be a nice feature to be able to hide your tick list or other things from your profile so that they can't be publicly seen. I keep a tick list for personal use, but feel like it is a measuring stick on the forums which can add to the sometimes toxic environment.

Personally, I see both sides of the issue.  Yes, I keep my tick list for personal use and wouldn't mind it being hidden.  On the other side though, it's really nice to be able to look at the ticklist of the person spewing all sorts of crap in a thread about hard sport climbing to see that they only climbs 5.7 trad routes.    

bus driver · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 1,516

As a developer,  it is nice to see people "tic" a route you invested time and money in. Kind of like a tip but you can't use it to pay for hardware. 

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
bus driver wrote:

As a developer,  it is nice to see people "tic" a route you invested time and money in. Kind of like a tip but you can't use it to pay for hardware. 

Yeah, for sure.  It's very nice to see your routes get ticked.

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

I'd take the opposite approach and require members to post every route they attempt.

That way, it'll be even more obvious which posters have some practical experience and which don't.

Adam Fleming · · AMGA Certified Rock Guide; SLC · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 441

Great idea.  A possible workaround would be to create a new profile and just use it to record your ticks.

M Sprague · · New England · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 5,090
Ken Noyce wrote:

... On the other side though, it's really nice to be able to look at the ticklist of the person spewing all sorts of crap in a thread about hard sport climbing to see that they only climbs 5.7 trad routes.    

Problem is, basing off someones tick list is pretty unreliable. For instance I hardly tick anything and the ones I do are fairly random. You also have the issue of what a tick even means to people. I see lots of "ticks" that just mean somebody tried a route; the ubiquitous "lead, fell, hung"

Jay Eggleston · · Denver · Joined Feb 2003 · Points: 21,381

It's nice to see "ticks" when you are considering a new partner.

Jonathan Marek · · Spearfish, SD · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 2,497

Personally, don't care but might use it.

BTW I have cross-checked all your ticklists. You're all doing a great job, keep up the good work! Except for that one guy who needs to get harder...you know who you are.

David B · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2011 · Points: 205
Lena chita wrote:

Not quite the same. I don't particularly care how many sends a climb has, but I do sometimes want to know if specific people have sent it.

If I look at ticks on a specific route and try to make a decision about whether I want to try this route, or not (which I rarely do, but I HAVE done it), I would sometimes put different weight to different people's comments/ticks, depending on what I know of that person's height, climbing style, etc. These might not be people who are my close friends, but I know enough OF them to know that we climb similarly, like similar routes, etc. In other words, they are not people I could just randomly message and ask, hey, have yuo climbed this route, and what did you think of it?... we might have spoken once in real life... but I would like to know what they thought of a route.

I do think that if there was a way to make ticks on a personal info page private, but keep the ticks visible in individual routes, that would accomplish both goals.

Maybe they don't want you to see, though?

Jack Servedio · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35
Mark E Dixon wrote:

I'd take the opposite approach and require members to post every route they attempt.

That way, it'll be even more obvious which posters have some practical experience and which don't.

It's just too much work if you do what I, and many others do - just mark it down in your guide book (or not keep track at all). My Devils Lake guide book is like 340 pages or something like that and I have ticks and marks, notes, and scribbles all through it, with a huge portion of them way before I joined MP. No way I'm going back and deciphering those, so I don't use the tick list on here. I've only been climbing for 4 or 5 years and it would be a massive undertaking to do this - could you imagine what it would be like for someone climbing 40 or 50 or 60 years to fill out a full tick list?

I do put stars and rate routes that made me really happy, I thought were dumb, or are in a newly developed area to at least contribute a little when I remember.

Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

@ Jack- I know, I was kind of joking.

I only tick routes I find hard, or memorable for some other reason. Otherwise I have a notebook I write all of them down in, for later amusement.

I used to do the guidebook thing, but what do you do when a new guidebook comes out? 

Transfer the ticks? Hold onto all of the guides? 

I wish I had started with a notebook BITD.

Jack Servedio · · Raleigh, NC · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 35
Mark E Dixon wrote:

@ Jack- I know, I was kind of joking.

I only tick routes I find hard, or memorable for some other reason. Otherwise I have a notebook I write all of them down in, for later amusement.

I used to do the guidebook thing, but what do you do when a new guidebook comes out? 

Transfer the ticks? Hold onto all of the guides? 

I wish I had started with a notebook BITD.

See, I'm not a hard climber and climb mostly in places that have been climbed since before my grandparents were born, so I don't have to worry about this! How many new easy and moderate trad routes have they put up in Seneca, Devils Lake, or the Gunks that are worthwhile enough to spend the cash on a new guidebook that I can't just draw in myself from here?

I doubt I'll ever need a new guidebook, let alone the new $43 Seneca one (it does have pretty pictures though), for any of these types of places - in fact I'm fairly confident my grandchildren won't need new guidebooks for these places.

Dan Africk · · Brooklyn, New York · Joined May 2014 · Points: 275
Mark E Dixon wrote:

Jokes or not, I think this is precisely the sort of judgmental / elitist attitude the OP is trying to avoid.. Personally I don't mind my tick list being public, but I can understand a variety of legitimate reasons people would want to keep this private. 

And while someone's climbing experience is often relevant, I'm of the belief that generally an argument or statement is either sound or not in itself, regardless of the person speaking it. If someone makes a good point, then it's a good point even if they are a newb with zero experience. And if they make a bad argument, they can be the most hardcore climber with more street cred than anyone else on MP, but they can still be wrong sometimes. And if someone's experience is really relevant to the discussion, and they haven't already mentioned it, how about just ask them? As others pointed out, people use tick lists in a variety of ways, so asking someone directly is probably going to provide better information.

Dan Africk · · Brooklyn, New York · Joined May 2014 · Points: 275
M Sprague wrote:

Problem is, basing off someones tick list is pretty unreliable. For instance I hardly tick anything and the ones I do are fairly random. You also have the issue of what a tick even means to people. I see lots of "ticks" that just mean somebody tried a route; the ubiquitous "lead, fell, hung"

There actually is an option on MP to classify the type of tick- i.e. Lead / Follow / TR; Onsight, Flash, Fell / Hung, etc.

The problem is this feature isn't very useful as presently implemented: The tick list doesn't clearly indicate this information, only on the route page; The tick breakdown page doesn't give you control of how ticks are displayed (for example I would only want my lead climbs shown on the charts); and until recently, you could only add these tick details on the MP webpage, not the app (and I'm not about to go back and update all my ticks).

Personally I only tick climbs that I've lead. I usually mark climbs that I've top roped or followed etc by giving them stars. It would be nice to keep track of these with ticks also, but I don't want to throw off my tick breakdown, which is kinda nice for seeing my progress over time. If I could select, via dropdown list or checkboxes, which ticks are included in my tick breakdown, I'd probably tick everything.

(edit: I realized the tick list does indicate which type of tick at the beginning of the comments field. It would be much clearer if this was a separate column.)

DR · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 974

I think this brings up an interesting point. Does climbing hard mean you are a better or more knowledgeable climber and thus your opinion or perspective is more valid. 

If: climber A regularly onsights 5.11 on every type of terrain, on gear, clipping bolts, in the alpine and climber B just redpointed Social Outcast 5.12a wearing rental shoes,an Ecrin rock helmet, and mesh shorts

Then: Climber B must have a better opinion because well a tick of 5.12a is far superior to 5.11a

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Discuss MountainProject.com
Post a Reply to "Hiding tick list from profile"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started