Mountain Project Logo

Looking for partner indoor/outdoor upstate SC, CLT, TN, etc.

Original Post
John Kelly · · Greenville, SC · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 45

Novice climber lead certified in gym climb/belay but only led mock outside with FOX guides. Have lead belayed 5-times with FOX guides (mostly Doug Lutz). Been with them 5-6 times from start of real rock climbing. 6 pitch to Table Rock summit is best multi picth. Did 5 single pitcy 5.6-5.8 at Red Rocks with guide. Different routes at Looking Glass. Can climb to 5.9 inside depending on rating. Have cleaned trad behind lead FOX guides multiple times and mock lead trad twice and did some mock sport leading inside. 

Just being honest I'm not an experienced climber but am safe. FOX guides let me lead belay them they were comfortable with my skill set doing that. Just don't want to be an anchor for a group of real good climbers, but would love to have a partner to belay for and belay for me inside/outside. Willing to travel. Want to learn.

Thanks

I always underestimate myself so I may not be as bad as I make out. Just looking for people to climb with will hump rope, clean cars, buy beer....

waldo · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 30

John,

I live in TN near Obed and try to get over to NC as often as I can. Feel free to send me a message. 

Doesn't have to be NC. In fact looks likeyou may have some nice crags rightnear you. I'm single easier for me to travel than you with or away from family Waldo. Unless you're wanting to,lol!!!!

John

waldo · · Knoxville, TN · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 30

We have some great crags around here. T wall is great when the weather is cool, the cracks at t wall are amazing.  OBED is nice all year and has some great overhanging pumpy routes. I am up for climbing to NC but can't make it as often as I would like. 

Waldo what are they rated//honestly? Anything over 5.8 is probably pushing my limit. Unless you're gonna haul me up, lol! I have no problem coming your way am burnt on local crags anyway like to see new places.

Just looked up T-Wall on the route finder I guess there is east west, etc and seem to be a wide range from 5.11 to 5.5 so I'm guessing we can find something that we can do together. Plus I'm set for solo lead climbing on sport or top rope routes so if you want to go off do a 5.12c I can go do a 5.8 TR pitch.

I don't have many people to climb with so had to get with a solo setup. But its bomber no screwing around. Petzl Micro Axion as main, Petzly Gold Ascender as backup, Gri Gri2 for rapping, PAD, tons of quickdraws, biners, extended draws, and a parachute.Nawww..kidding on last. I don't do two ropes though just too much 9.8 Mammut 70 meter, stuff to build any anchor. So if we need to do different routes so you can be challenged NP. But hope we get to do some together.

John

Mike Gillam · · Elyria, Ohio · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 0

I am in Ohio, but willing to travel and have a pretty flexible schedule.  I do not lead anything hard, but will climb sport or trad.  I have gear.  West Virginia, Ky, N. Carolina, are all options. Haven't rock climbed much in the last couple of year due to ww kayaking....

Lol....my shoulders never recovered from my two years of WW kayaking! 

I'm in.

Have cleaned behind many guides sport/trad. Mock led trad but no sport lead outdoors only in gym. I have biners, quickdraws, anchors, slings, two 5 step aid ladders, mini traxion, petzl ascender, PAD, yada yada but no trad gear. Safe, attentive TR and lead belayer I take that very serious safety first.

Have some time on my hands next few months so I'm in. Where do we start? 

I'm heading to meet a guy and his son in TN near Oak Ridge this coming weekend. After that......? 

Have done RRG, or what parts I could. It rained all night before so anything under 5.9 was a washout and 5.8-5.9 is about where I am at. Red Rocks was actually my first outdoor climb. Table Rock 6 pitch to summit and Looking Glass bunch of times with FOX guides. Not a total noob but the people at the gym I went to, the "climbing elite" so to speak, make you feel that way. Not all but a bunch. Ah heck with em.

Anyway I'm easy...but not cheap! Fire away.

Best Regards

John Conzone

864-650-0284

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply