Mountain Project Logo

Polartec Powerstretch tights

Original Post
mountainhick · · Black Hawk, CO · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 120

Thanks for the resources for powerstretch fabric. Found a couple others. Friend has zig zag/multistitch sewing machine I can use. Powerstretch material works out to about $50 for 6 pairs. Will be far less than 1hr work per pair done as a production run. Can probably do all in less that 4 hrs.

I'll be making my own.

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,785

If you get 20+ years out of these things, I'd say $100/pr is not outrageously costly. People spend 5-6X that on shell jackets, and hundreds more on softshell pants.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530

mountainhick wrote:

I knew that comment was coming. I really don't care about what other people pay for their patagucci and armani dead birds. Fine for those with high income and trust funds, but not relevant to me.

For that kind of money I'd buy a used industrial serger sewing machine. Actually considering it. Much more interested in long term self sufficiency than burning $100 bills for underwear.

You do realize that inflation is a thing, right? Whatever you paid 20 to 25 years ago is probably the equivalent to $100 today. 

I also suspect that the material costs plus the cost of a sewing machine to make your own is far more than the $500 to buy new kit that will last another 20 years. 

At any rate, here's the link to the power stretch page at Polar Tec. They still make it and lots of brands use it. Good luck finding what you want for cheap. 

Polar Tec Power Stretch

Michael Palmer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 25

http://www.millyardage.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=9450, $10 per yard.  I have a pretty ugly full suit of of this stuff

Mark Says · · Aspen, CO · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 395

The immortal please delete thread. How it shall haunt you.

I like my Patagonia, and I don't have a trust fund. If I do, no one has told me, and I'm going to be very upset with them when I find out. Also, I'll be buying more Patagonia.

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

Plz no delet.

Thanks Michael P.

universal dude · · the abyss (kansas) · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 195

I found kenyon polartech powerstretch base layers are on sierra trading post for 25. I own several pair and they're great. Read the reviews on sizing with certain colors.

rain cloud wrote:

I found kenyon polartech powerstretch base layers are on sierra trading post for 25. I own several pair and they're great. Read the reviews on sizing with certain colors.

Thanks, great deal but not my size.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Polartec Powerstretch tights"
in the Climbing Gear Discussion