Allenbrook Atlanta advice

Original Post
Kyle Taylor · · Atlanta Ga · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Has anyone anchored to the trees at Allenbrook that's willing to show photos or give advice? Any tips are well appreciated, I've never been there but looking to go this weekend. Thanks in advance

Will S · · Joshua Tree · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,053

I haven't been there in probably 25 years, but spent a lot of time there when I first started climbing. There's nothing special to know other than to take some long pieces of webbing or static rope, some of the trees are well back from the edge and you'll need to extend the anchor way down from the trees to get it to hang over the edge.  By "long pieces" I mean like 25-40 feet. 

spellstrike · · Duluth · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 23

It's not rocket science but be aware that the solid trees are far away from the ledge. I use a 145ft static rope and use the far trees when I climb there.

You should seek out someone that knows what they are doing before trying it on your own.

FYI there were some bolts that were installed a few months ago that were absolutely not safe to use. I believe most of them were chopped but the current situation is not clear to me. There's a thead on here somewhere about it.

spellstrike wrote:

It's not rocket science but be aware that the solid trees are far away from the ledge. I use a 145ft static rope and use the far trees when I climb there.

You should seek out someone that knows what they are doing before trying it on your own.

FYI there were some bolts that were installed a few months ago that were absolutely not safe to use. I believe most of them were chopped but the current situation is not clear to me. There's a thead on here somewhere about it.

Thanks! I have never anchored off a tree, I don't really have anyone to learn from, so if I could talk you into showing me one day, I'd like that! Thx again.

Max Sellars · · Atlanta, GA · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

Hey Kyle, I work up in Alpharetta and have climbed at Allenbrook on a few different occasions. I’ve set up anchors for all the routes there at one point or another. PM me and we can figure out a time to go out there. I’m always looking for an excuse to avoid the commute back to Midtown. 

spellstrike · · Duluth · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 23
Kyle Taylor wrote:

Thanks! I have never anchored off a tree, I don't really have anyone to learn from, so if I could talk you into showing me one day, I'd like that! Thx again.

If you come to my climbing group that could happen.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1865503460342256/

spellstrike wrote:

If you come to my climbing group that could happen.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1865503460342256/

Thx man! I'm not really on Facebook but learning that's a good place for things for climbing. On a bit of a social media stint. 

Shout out to Max for his wisdom and badassery today! Had a good time,dude.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply