Mountain Project Logo

Noob Needs Gear Help and Explanations

Original Post
M C · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Please help!

Squeak · · Perth West OZ · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 21
M C wrote:

Please help!

this is rigging work, hire a small chain block assembly from a rental company it's WAY WAY simpler

Also whilst you're there hire some load slings to lift the tubs with.  

You are looking to complicate a relatively simple load move.

Idaho Ian · · Pocatello, ID · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 5

This kind of work is not typically what climbers specialize in. Typically we are using dynamic ropes, which stretch. You need static ropes, which don't. If there is someone trained in rescue techniques, they might help you with pulleys, but you are better off asking an arborist forum, as they are professional ropeworkers using lots of static rope. 

That said, any climbing rated pulley and carabiner should have plenty of strength for your purpose. A climbing, caving, or canyoneering style static rope should be similarly rated and be just fine for your use. I'm not a professional, don't trust me. 

kevin deweese · · Oakland, Ca · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 420

For longer ropes, search for "spool" and you'll be able to find 100meter to 300meter spools of rope easily. 

The rating on the gear is a working limit so the gear will actually perform effectively beyond those weight limits. Since you're not doing life-support rigging, you'll be god to go. 

The 5:1 kit you linked are just the pulleys and biners. Without a progress capture device, you're gunna have a bad time. 

kevin deweese wrote:

Without a progress capture device, you're gunna have a bad time. 

What's that?

S2k 4life · · Baltimore · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 121

Just get 4 or 5 strong guys  

If you do end up rigging all this, we would love to see pics

Squeak · · Perth West OZ · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 21
M C wrote:

What's that?

What that is, is an indication that you should read my previous post.

You are looking to complicate a simple task. 

Don't try to reinvent the wheel. and seeking guidance of this nature on a forum will likely lead to damage or injury.

K.I.S.S

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346

If you need 5/8" rope, it's not actually hard to come by. Arborists use 5/8" static rope for lifting trees all the time and you can find it by the foot up to lengths of 600' easily. You can find it on arborist websites. However, 5/8" rope is way too large for those pulleys. All you need is 11mm static. In any case, you're looking into the wrong equipment subset all together. Climbing gear is not the best type of equipment to use. All you need is a chain block and some flat or round lifting slings. That stuff is intended for your application and it will be simpler and safer to use. You an rent the gear form most local rental places.

Even once you get the gear you need, how exactly do you plan to get a massive and heavy tub out through a window and down the side of your house? What are you going to use for anchor points that will allow you to pick the tub up, move it latterly toward the wall and then allow you to lower it down the side of the house without the steel chain dragging on the window sill and down the side of the house? Are you sure on the weights? A quick Google search shows an average cast iron tub weighs about 300 lbs which is light enough for five people to hand carry. I think the best option here is to hand carry it out with a bunch of people.

Idaho Ian · · Pocatello, ID · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 5
20 kN wrote:

I think the best option here is to hand carry it out with a bunch of people.

Yup. Cost of failure is much lower here as well

johnnyrig · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 105

I've raised and lowered two engines and an antique metal lathe with my climbing gear. It's a pain in the ass. You might get it down ok with all that mess but I'm telling you getting it back up again is going to be a nightmare. 

As said earlier, you will need to understand and use some kind of progress capture on the raise. As far as lowering, you damn well better have a friction brake that you can lock off off needed. 

Way better idea:  rent an electric winch hoist with a hundred ft of cable and a half ton or one ton capacity. Probably cost you a hell of a lot less money in the long run than all the climbing gear will cost, too. And it'll be easier to operate. 

Jason Kim · · Encinitas, CA · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 255

Years ago, I offered to help a friend lower a heavy wood bed frame off his 2nd story balcony.  It's a long story, but I will never use climbing equipment to try and move heavy furniture again.  

ClimbingOn · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 405

This has bad idea written all over it. How are you going to anchor your system, if you even find a system that will work? If your units have a way to get the tubs/sink to an outside area (balcony or the like), renting a lift is a much better idea. As others have stated, you're overcomplicating this and likely working toward a failing system.

Lift rentals are not prohibitively expensive, and you can get different types of lifts depending upon the nuances of your particular situation. A boom lift seems like it would likely work for you.

Bill Shubert · · Lexington, MA · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 55

I'm kinda leaning towards troll. I know nothing about this subject, but 5 minutes of googling found out that for a few dollars more than the pulley system, he can buy a winch hoist that can lift 880 pounds - so you can not only lower, but raise the tubs as well. Why would a non-climber, faced with the task of moving heavy furnishings up and down, turn to climbing gear he doesn't understand instead of looking up stuff designed to, I don't know, maybe move heavy furnishings up and down?

Edit: Ah, I see the hoist I found can't lift the distance he needs. Still, I'm standing by my claim, anybody who has a project like this and right away says "I know, I'll save money and use rock climbing equipment" is too confused to be true.

Sean Kelley · · Ventura, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Find yourself some big boys and buy them beer. Problem solved. 

if anyone wants to come to NYC and help carry let me know..

johnnyrig · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 105

Please take video. 

Sean Kelley · · Ventura, CA · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0
johnnyrig wrote:

Please take video. 

I laughed out loud.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Noob Needs Gear Help and Explanations"