Mountain Project Logo

Best Self-Rescue Course in Northern California?

Original Post
Mackenzie Scanlan 1 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 0

My climbing group recently lost a friend in a climbing accident in Yosemite. Luckily, there were experienced self-rescue partners on the scene that were able to do as much as they possibly could before professional help arrived. This accident made me realize how desperately I need a self-rescue course to help in these exact situations. 

Can anyone recommend a self-rescue course they took in the area? We stopped in the Mountaineering school in Yosemite this past weekend but I don't know if that's the best option for the three of us. 

Thanks! 

fuck you · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

Richard Bothwell @ Outdoor Adventure Club  

he is an EXCELLENT teacher!  most important, you need to practice this stuff regularly to remember it when it's needed!  

edit: sorry to hear @ the accident!!

Kerr Adams · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 140

I messaged you Mackenzie! I'm not in California at the moment but would love to work with you guys again in some capacity. 

Richard Bothwell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 0

HI Mackenzie, and thanks for the kind words, Faye!

I'd be happy to connect with you and your friends, Mackenzie. Happy to set up a class for you and your friends, or let you know when we are teaching a self-rescue class. 

We teach self rescue classes in both one and two-day formats. How much time do you want to spend practicing skills? That's one of the key distinctions between the one and two day classes.

You can reach me here or @OutdoorAdventureClub.com.

Richard

splitclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 6

Hey Richard.  Are your classes rock climbing self rescue, or mountaineering self rescue or more first responder orientated?  

First snow at Lassen. :)  Hope to finally meet you in the lot this season.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Best Self-Rescue Course in Northern California?"