Mountain Project Logo

JTree in Feb 2018

Original Post
Joe Ray · · Harmony · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

looking for information on where to go in JTree.  Beings that I've never been there and a guide book only tells you so much I figured I would ask.   I can lead around 5.7 trad and around 5.10 sport.  My partner is a little newer.  I need to find a good area to go that will fit both our abilities. Thanks for any info you can send my way!

Ann · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Hello Joe. My friend and I climbed JT last year. Awesome place! We stayed at Hidden Valley Campground (first-come, first-served) and just hiked to various climbing areas. Lots of trad/sport routes. Intersection Rock was my favorite, while my friend preferred Loose Lady and Coarse and Buggy. There's no water at JT so bring lots!! 

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

The two main Joshua Tree guidebooks will tell you more than any response on MP. Get either the Vogel or Miramontes guidebooks for a wealth of information. The local climbing store, Nomad Ventures, will have them.

Ann · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

FrankPS  is definitely right. We had Vogel's (my partner's preference) and Bob Gaines' (I likey!:) guidebooks. Have Fun!!

plantmandan · · Brighton, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 40

There are many great options at every skill level. A few general things to keep in mind:

As you have probably read already, J-Tree routes can feel hard for the grade. In addition, the "sport" routes there are generally run out between bolts. Start on something easy and work your way up.

There are not many bolted anchors, so it's very important to be proficient at setting anchors with gear.

February nights there are long and chilly. If you camp, bring a lot of firewood.

Happiegrrrl · · Gunks · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 60
Locker · · Yucca Valley, CA · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 2,265

"There's no water at JT so bring lots"

There is a water dispensary at the Ranger booth (in between the bathrooms) 

Unless you enjoy crowds, avoid the areas around the campground. You may even find yourself waiting in line (In season). There are some 7000+ recorded routes. You will have ZERO problems finding tons of stuff for you and everyone else to enjoy.

If you don't want to go the guidebook route, this website (Mt Proj) has plenty. Also has that nifty feature that allows you to look up ratings and if it is a sport or "trad" route.

Have a BLAST!

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

A VERY IMPORTANT excerpt from Happiegrrrl's article, all of which you should read.

It is tradition in Jtree that if someone has placed an article prominently within the campsite, it means "Occupied." This practice harkens back to the days when people came for the winter, without cars or much else. They might have a sleeping bag and pad stowed in a rock crevice.

So, if you see a fuel canister or similar thing set lonely dead center on the picnic table, think real hard before making yourself cozy, thinking "Wow! I can't believe this great site is the only one open!

First time at Jtree is a learning experience. Come with an open mind and you will be rewarded on many fronts.

Sean Kelley · · Westlake, California · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0
caesar.salad wrote:

A VERY IMPORTANT excerpt from Happiegrrrl's article, all of which you should read.

First time at Jtree is a learning experience. Come with an open mind and you will be rewarded on many fronts.

Facts. Don't chase grades.

Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 160

Just go to hidden valley and ask people. That's all you need to do.

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

Also, the coyote's name is Patches. Haze don't praise.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "JTree in Feb 2018 "
in the Southern California