Mountain Project Logo

RIP - Black Diamond

Chris C. · · Seattle, WA · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 337
Dirtbag wrote:

I've seen this sort of thing in a lot of businesses before - board members and investors take over, corporate speak shows up on the website ("investing in growth businesses, maximizing operating losses, blah blah blah"), etc..  

You've seen businesses say that they want to maximize operating losses?  That's weird.   

Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 150
Noah Yetter wrote:

Businesses are in business to make money. 

Over the last 4 years, BDE has declined 55%. Must be a great money-making business.

· · Unknown Hometown · Joined unknown · Points: 0

Someone please tell us the story about Chouinard - the one with the broken harness and the lawyer.  

It doesn't have to be accurate, I just want to hear it again.

physnchips · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0
Chris C. wrote:

You've seen businesses say that they want to maximize operating losses?  That's weird.   

Give him a break, he's a dirtbag -- it's hard to be both a climbing expert and a business expert living in a van down by the river.

trentbrown Brown · · Hohenburg, Bavaria, DE · Joined May 2015 · Points: 60

I sold all of my Black Diamond..... I mean Clarus stock.... Not long after they changed their name.  They haven't been doing too well for far too long anyways!

20 kN · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 1,346
Nivel Egres wrote:

Over the last 4 years, BDE has declined 55%. Must be a great money-making business.

From 2015 to 2016 they did. Since 2016 they have nearly doubled in price. Went from about $4 a share to $7ish. If you invested in 2016 you'd be in a reasonable position right now.

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/clar/stock-chart?intraday=off&timeframe=4y&splits=off&earnings=off&movingaverage=None&lowerstudy=volume&comparison=off&index=&drilldown=off

Cor · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,460

That's a nice short term view, but it is barely higher than where it started years back..   When, and what will bring it back to $15+?  

What came out when it hit the high?

caughtinside · · Oakland CA · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 1,450
Dirtbag wrote:

I am not shocked (I am a business person).  I am disappointed, hence my original post.  BD is a great brand and has brought a lot of technology and evolution to climbing, skiing, personal safety, etc.  Point is...it will lose it's mojo at some point.  I've been in business long enough to know that.

A business guy masquerading as 'dirtbag.'

Who is the real sellout???

Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10
Michael P wrote:

I disagree.  I think black diamond is wisely getting ahead of the alpine shooting market.  I actually know from an inside source that they have started testing their new line of ultralight bullets in LCC.  These new bullets reportedly whistle instead of whizzing, snapping, or cracking which allows you to hear your aggressive dogs and babies much better.  Great innovation if you ask me.

I think they mae that an olympic sport.  Ski around and stop and shoot stuff...

Nivel Egres · · New York, NY · Joined Dec 2014 · Points: 150
20 kN wrote:

From 2015 to 2016 they did. Since 2016 they have nearly doubled in price. Went from about $4 a share to $7ish. If you invested in 2016 you'd be in a reasonable position

Considering that they have first declined about 80%, there is nothing surprising about them posting some gains. Any sane person would avoid a stock like that unless they know something others do not.

Frankly, it's a shame - they have a captive client base (trad daddies like yourself), quality products (at least in their specialty) and reasonable growth perspectives. Honestly, if their market cap would drop down below 100mm again, maybe it's worth doing the activist investor thing and try to run it properly.

Politically Correct Ball · · From WA to AZ · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 5
caughtinside wrote:

A business guy masquerading as 'dirtbag.'

Who is the real sellout???

Maybe he's in the business of bagging dirt

K Weber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 15
Nick Sweeney wrote:

That's just not true... Article on Utah manufacturing expansion

Are you trying to say that a million dollars a year for 7 years is going to get BD out of China????  LOL, no way.

A million a year is such a small percent of the whole business.

a.l. · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 5
K Weber wrote:

Are you trying to say that a million dollars a year for 7 years is going to get BD out of China????  LOL, no way.

A million a year is such a small percent of the whole business.

It's probably enough to get the climbing hard goods side back on-shore though. We are not talking about a huge  production facility -a 7.7 million dollar investment is peanuts in manufacturing, but probably plenty of capital to reinstate an operation of that scale-the SLC facility is tiny and the hardware and machinery requirements are relatively minimal.

A significant portion of BD's in-house climbing gear manufacturing was brought back to SLC. The Chinese ski factory was completely shuttered and the hard goods facility that they built in Zhuhai was scheduled to follow-it may be totally off-line by now, I don't know. Those ventures failed and a lot of what was built in China isn't built there anymore.

Keep in mind that this was a company that is advertising adding 160 jobs to the SLC economy; these are the same jobs that they eliminated by laying off production personnel into the teeth of the recession when they opted to go overseas in the first place. Hooray for them. In addition, they still retain the reputation locally as a substandard employer, unable or unwilling to respond to the current 3% local unemployment rate with living-wage compensation levels, are working out of an outdated money pit of a facility, and retained many of the same management that screwed up the China investment in the first place. Honestly, they could close the doors tomorrow and I think that almost nobody around here would blink.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "RIP - Black Diamond"