Mountain Project Logo

RIP - Black Diamond

Original Post
Dirtbag · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

I noticed that Black Diamond's publicly traded parent was renamed as Clarus, and that they completed the acquisition of a bullet company.   I've seen this sort of thing in a lot of businesses before - board members and investors take over, corporate speak shows up on the website ("investing in growth businesses, maximizing operating losses, blah blah blah"), etc..   They are going to leverage the balance sheet of BDEL and Pieps to buy other nonclimbing related crap., The company is going to lose its soul - buy your cams and stoppers now!

Ryan Surface · · Kansas City · Joined May 2014 · Points: 398

Good night sweet prince

K Weber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 15

Ummmm, BD hasn't had a soul for some time.  They have been chasing the green backs for a long time.  BD is almost all Chinese now. 

Matt Racicot · · Durango · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 10

Wasn't the parent company formerly known as Clarus? In 2010 they were purchased by Clarus, which had already owned Armor Holdings, a defense contractor. It's possible they have been without a soul since then, with the departure from Purgatory being the GAP exec that replaced Metcalf

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

In b4 shitshow

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,800
K Weber wrote:

BD is almost all Chinese now. 

Oh no, here we go again.

Kyle Tarry · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 236

I noticed that Black Diamond's publicly traded parent was renamed as Clarus, and that they completed the acquisition of a bullet company.   I've seen this sort of thing in a lot of businesses before - board members and investors take over, corporate speak shows up on the website ("investing in growth businesses, maximizing operating losses, blah blah blah"), etc..   They are going to leverage the balance sheet of BDEL and Pieps to buy other nonclimbing related crap., The company is going to lose its soul - buy your cams and stoppers now!

BD has been owned by Clarus since 2010.  Doesn't seem to be hurting them at all, and I don't think there has been a shortage of cams in the last 7 years.  In fact, I think they have brought more stuff to market (ultralight camalots, offset nuts on the way, etc.).

Ummmm, BD hasn't had a soul for some time.  They have been chasing the green backs for a long time.  BD is almost all Chinese now. 

They just brought a huge portion of their hard goods manufacturing back to the USA.

A lot of apparel and other stuff is still made overseas, but that's true for nearly every other competitor, except for some small (but awesome) specialty companies (CiloGear, NW Alpine, etc.).

Remove your tin foil everyone, the sky isn't falling.

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 661
K Weber wrote:

That's just not true... Article on Utah manufacturing expansion

squiddo Marc · · Mountain View, CA · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 15

Dirtbag......Your first post is to bag on BD? Perhaps not great news but personally it's wait and see.

mkclimb · · Western Colorado · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 416

Bullet company, as in ammunition?

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Dirtbag wrote:

I noticed that Black Diamond's publicly traded parent was renamed as Clarus, and that they completed the acquisition of a bullet company.

Is this recent? (Obviously not the Clarus part since that happened in 2010.) Source?

curvenut · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 0
squiddo Siddens wrote:

Dirtbag......Your first post is to bag on BD? Perhaps not great news but personally it's wait and see.

He is definitively a troll !

Daniel T · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 35
mkclimb wrote:

Bullet company, as in ammunition?

Or as in the Train?

OR as in the Whiskey?

mkclimb · · Western Colorado · Joined Jul 2011 · Points: 416

I don't know, hence why I'm asking...I'd be more down with the trains or whiskey.

Kyle Tarry · · Portland, OR · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 236
mkclimb wrote:

I don't know, hence why I'm asking...

From the BD wikipedia page:

"In May 2010, Black Diamond Equipment was acquired for $90 million by Clarus Corporation which owns Armor Holdings, Inc., a military defense contractor."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Diamond_Equipment

However, it appears that since then, Clarus (which changed its name to Black Diamond, Inc, and is now changing its name back to Clarus) divested their ownership/stake in Armor Holdings, which was acquired by BAE.  Apparently, as of right now, they only own BD and Peips:

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2017/08/10/1083397/0/en/Black-Diamond-Inc-to-Change-Name-to-Clarus-Corporation.html

"Currently, Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd. and PIEPS GmbH are its only operating subsidiaries."

Interestingly enough, it looks like Clarus just acquired a different bullet company (Sierra Bullets) last month:

http://www.blackdiamond-inc.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=118683&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2299099

In the end, I don't think any of this really matters to us.  BD has been owned by a venture capitalist company since 2010, so there's no reason to think their operational or market strategy will change any more now than it has in the last 7 years.

ViperScale . · · McMurdo Station, AQ · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 240
Kyle Tarry wrote:

BD has been owned by Clarus since 2010.  Doesn't seem to be hurting them at all, and I don't think there has been a shortage of cams in the last 7 years.  In fact, I think they have brought more stuff to market (ultralight camalots, offset nuts on the way, etc.).

They just brought a huge portion of their hard goods manufacturing back to the USA.

A lot of apparel and other stuff is still made overseas, but that's true for nearly every other competitor, except for some small (but awesome) specialty companies (CiloGear, NW Alpine, etc.).

Remove your tin foil everyone, the sky isn't falling.

The sky is to falling... what do you think rain is?

Luke Bertelsen · · Tucson, AZ · Joined Feb 2005 · Points: 3,647

I'm positive Dirtbag has the lowdown.  He has been a member for 4 hours.  

DrRockso · · Red River Gorge, KY · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 341

Black Diamond has been publicly traded for some time now, the fact that they have a holding company now isn't going to change anything other than the fact they are probably going to expand into areas where they actually make money. 

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

Businesses are in business to make money. If this shocks you, you have bigger problems than the fate of BD.

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,107

like coffee mugs.

Dirtbag · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
Noah Yetter wrote:

Businesses are in business to make money. If this shocks you, you have bigger problems than the fate of BD.

I am not shocked (I am a business person).  I am disappointed, hence my original post.  BD is a great brand and has brought a lot of technology and evolution to climbing, skiing, personal safety, etc.  Point is...it will lose it's mojo at some point.  I've been in business long enough to know that.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

General Climbing
Post a Reply to "RIP - Black Diamond"