Mountain Project Logo

Lake Tahoe Bouldering Guidebooks

Original Post
Brandon.Phillips · · Portola, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 55

Are the newer Bouldering Lake Tahoe guidebooks worth the money?  And is the Outlying Areas one still in print?  My wife just took a job in the greater Truckee/ Reno area, and we are headed out there in a couple of weeks. 

PM me if you've got a used one to sell.  I'm also willing to trade if you're planning a trip to the southeast- I've got a bunch of guidebooks for AL/GA/TN/NC/Red River Gorge.

Mike Ferrell · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Jun 2016 · Points: 20

For my last trip up there I got the North/West shores guide on the Rakkup app and I'd recommend it. The best feature is the GPS integration so you can see how close you are to the boulders you're approaching

Daniel Ma · · Truckee, Ca · Joined Nov 2014 · Points: 15

I've seen the outlying areas at a couple places in Truckee and even the rei in Reno. About a third of the book is desert/ lower elevation for bouldering in the winter. The other two thirds is mostly outlying areas that sit at high elevations, only climbable while snowless.

However, If you're here before the snow, I'd recommend the north/west shore Tahoe bouldering guide from Dave hatchett and get on some of the granite while you can. there's incredible bouldering here that will keep you occupied for quite a while. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Lake Tahoe Bouldering Guidebooks"