Moving to Davis

Original Post
Peter Foster · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 55

I've got a job offer in Davis and I'm trying to feel out the climbing in the area and such. I'm a sport climber who intends to learn trad but doesn't have the money for a rack yet (haha). And atm I drive a sedan that can't handle any rough roads, I was curious if there are a lot of 4WD roads to get to craigs? i'm considering selling it for a craiging vehicle, but my car gets bomber gas mileage atm so its cool for everything other than climbing. Or if you have any other advice for someone new to the area. And i'm down to climb with people weekends, so i'm tryna meet people

Clarke Conant · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 0

No worries, if you're talking Davis, CA the place is flat as a pancake but you can drive to more climbing than you can do in a lifetime, all pretty much accessible on asphalt, give or take a scrape or two. The local gym crowd is very friendly. Looking forward to seeing you around!

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 430
Peter Foster wrote:

I've got a job offer in Davis and I'm trying to feel out the climbing in the area and such. I'm a sport climber who intends to learn trad but doesn't have the money for a rack yet (haha). And atm I drive a sedan that can't handle any rough roads, I was curious if there are a lot of 4WD roads to get to craigs? i'm considering selling it for a craiging vehicle, but my car gets bomber gas mileage atm so its cool for everything other than climbing. Or if you have any other advice for someone new to the area. And i'm down to climb with people weekends, so i'm tryna meet people

Ya, Davis has a fun gym, Sac has a better gym for leading in the winter (Pipeworks) and then between 3 hrs to the Valley or 2 hrs to Donner or the Leap etc its a great town for having a good job in, and then getting in world class climbing with a car with good gas mileage.

It will be rare to need a high clearance vehicle for many years as you learn the northern Sierra.

Awesome. Thanks for responding. Glad my car should work out fine. Haha it has been a struggle at some of the craigs where I live atm. And I'll have to check out Pipeworks, I had only looked at Rocknasium so far. Hopefully I'll see you guys around :)

Brandon R · · Sacramento, CA · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 60

If you're looking to stick to sport crags (not craigs), you'll most likely be going to the Emeralds, Bowman Lake, some crags at Donner, Mayhem Cove, Luther Rocks, Auburn Quarry, and the Gold Wall/Jailhouse. Of all these, I think only Bowman would give you problems in a low clearance car. 

Cool. Thanks! And thanks for correcting my misspelling.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply