Dark Shadows to Cat in the Hat

Original Post
phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 115

I'm bringing a friend to Red Rocks for his first visit in about a week.  One day one I'm thinking of starting on Dark Shadows, first 3 pitches.  I only want to bring a 70 M rope that day, and if it's not too hot, we'll go over and do Birdland after.

But I expect it will be too hot in the sun on Birdland.  Does Cat in the Hat get afternoon shade this time of year? And what would be the most efficient way to get from Dark Shadows to Cat?  Just go back down to the trail junction and go back up?  Or can you traverse along the base somehow?  I have once traversed the area between Pine Nuts and Next Century, but I don't remember if that was fast or a pain in the ass.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530

Cat gets full afternoon sun. Birdland actually goes into the shade in the late afternoon. 

I'd actually recommend doing Cat or Birdland first while it's cool, then retreat to Dark Shadows when it heats up. 

OK, John, that's good to know.  Thanks for the info.

Big B · · Sin City, NV · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

Why do u want to skip the 4th pitch of DS? It's an awesome pitch.... 

you might think about doing Cookie Monster which is in the vicinity as well.... matter of fact I like linking the Cookie Monster into CitH ... we do it in 4p and the first 3 would def have pm shade the 4th(5th of CitH) not so much

Oh I call it three pitches because I always link 1 & 2.

But I think John has a good idea.  My partner is going to be massively jetlagged, coming from England. I'm leading everything the first day. My biggest concern is his falling alseep while belaying so the plan is to climb familiar routes while I climb as fast as possible to keep the rope moving so he can't doze off!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply