Analyzing MP data

Original Post
Mark · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

I made some charts that I think are interesting ways to visualize mp tick data:

https://markdaily.github.io/

I'd love feedback on these, or suggestions for other things to analyze. 

Note: I obtained this information for my personal interest by scraping the site. I did what I could not to make excessive requests, have no interest in using it as my own. I'd love to hear if anyone thinks this is inappropriate. My goal was only to add value to information that's already available. :)

Alan Emery · · Lebanon, NH · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 254

If you like analyzing data, how about the number of climbers by age? 

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 250

Cool idea. Rather than just "average tick by x", how about 3D data to show the actual histograms?

Alexander Blum · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 143

Very cool. Does the heat map have a scale associated with it? It looks saturated at major climbing areas, i.e. the same shade of red in the southeast as the Colorado front range - is the amount of ticks per area actually equal both places?

Tim McGivern · · Medford, ma · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 7,901

I love stuff like this! very cool! What's next? I really like the heat map!

splitclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 5

Thx. Heat map is too cool

Mark · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2017 · Points: 0

Thanks for the input. Added numbers of users by age, gender by state. (Hint: move to Iowa or Louisiana if you want good odds on a climbing girlfriend...)

Fan Zhang · · Washington, DC · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 618

Very cool. Thanks for putting in the time to do this. How about graphs showing the following?

1. total lifetime ticks

2. average ticks per month or per year

3. type of ticks (trad/sport/TR) 

4. type of route (rock/boulder/ice/alpine/snow/mixed)

For each of the above, could try using age, gender, state, etc., on horizontal axis.

Thanks!

Brian · · North Kingstown, RI · Joined Sep 2001 · Points: 650

You have to question to the statistical significance of the data.  Is the sampling pool statistically valid?  For example, does North Dakota really have an average of the hardest climbers in the country?  Lots (most?) of climbers on MP don't put in tick lists.  So while this is fun to look at I don't think it is necessarily accurate.  

Bowens · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 60

I would also be interested in seeing a survey to determine likelihood to record a tick after completing a climb across different statistical groups; that seems like an important control before interpreting data.

amarius · · Nowhere, OK · Joined Feb 2012 · Points: 20

BTW - consider that the Red River Gorge area has its own route database, including tick tracking. I would be extremely surprised if RRG-centric climber were to track his ticks using mp.com  - mp.com is  clunky and incomplete when compared to http://www.redriverclimbing.com/RRCGuide/

Seth Monteleone · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 23

Can you make the data you scraped available?

Andrew Krajnik · · Plainfield, IL · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 250
amarius wrote:

BTW - consider that the Red River Gorge area has its own route database, including tick tracking. I would be extremely surprised if RRG-centric climber were to track his ticks using mp.com  - mp.com is  clunky and incomplete when compared to http://www.redriverclimbing.com/RRCGuide/

Fair point, but... I actually track RRG ticks in both places. I like having a "master" tick list for all my climbs, so I put them on MP as well.

Noah Yetter · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 105

Since ticks are self-reported there's absolutely massive selection bias inherent in the data. I would treat it as just for fun and not try to draw any conclusions from it.

Charlie S · · Ogden, UT · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 1,448

Super cool charts and map!

I think the MP blog did something like this previously, but only showed things like top 10.  Cool to see the whole picture.

Skye Swoboda-Colberg · · Laramie, Wyoming · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 115

What Interpolation technique did you use to generate the heatmap?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply