Totem Basic voluntary recall


Original Post
jbasterra · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Dear Customer,

We, Totem MT., are voluntarily recalling all Basic cams with serial numbers starting from 1706200 to 1733205  which we kindly request you to stop using immediately

Please, follow the link below for all the information:

http://www.totemcams.com/voluntary-recall-basic/

Totem MT

Stephen Lander · · Columbus, OH · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 10

Does this recall also apply to Kailas Nuco cams?

Alexander Stathis · · Athens, GA · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 35

Isn't this more or less the same issue that affected the CCH Aliens? 

jbasterra · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0

Dear Stephen, thanks for your question.

No. This recall does not affect to Kailas Nuco cams, only Basics with the abovementioned serial number.

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530
Alexander Stathis wrote:

Isn't this more or less the same issue that affected the CCH Aliens? 

Kind of. The original aliens issue was just poor workmanship and lack of skilled labor doing the job.

If you read through the recall faq, this sounds more like a sneaky issue related to a different part of the construction of the cam.

As always, I applaud any company who immediately issues a recall on a piece of gear that they find an issue with. 

baldclimber · · Ottawa, Ontario, Canada · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 0

Where to find the SN:

None of mine are affected.

edited: replaced my own image with the one from Totem's announcement.  It only shows in incognito mode in Chrome for me. 

Keith W · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 80

Does this also apply to Offset basics? Or is it all basic models in general?

Skf · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0
Keith W wrote:

Does this also apply to Offset basics? Or is it all basic models in general?

I assume so, if the serial numbers fall within the flawed range. I just emailed them about two hybrids, so hopefully can confirm soon one way or the other. 

alexd81 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20

Oh man. I have three affected cams and I have really grown to like them. I hope I won't have to be without them for too long. 

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190
baldclimber wrote:

Where to find the SN:

None of mine are affected.

edited: replaced my own image with the one from Totem's announcement.  It only shows in incognito mode in Chrome for me. 

Maybe it thought that was a...nevermind. ;)

Ugh...time to check mine!  Have fallen on the Green and didn't die, so hopefully that means they're ok.

slim · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2004 · Points: 1,045

it's good that they have found this issue and let people know.  it's bad though that they changed a manufacturing process and assumed that changes in the surface wouldn't have any side effects.

CamBrown · · Clackamas · Joined May 2015 · Points: 50

Anyone have any idea (~rough time frame) when Totem might have replacements for the basics? It took just over a week to get a reply from Totem but I have yet to hear of a process to address the issue. How many cams do you own that have been affected (I have 7)? What are others expectations for receiving replacements, etc? My favorite cams are gone from my rack. Perhaps I need to re-sling my old metolious cams and role the dice with my old aliens again, or perhaps my affected basics 6-7Kn strength doesn't sound too bad in many lead scenarios... especially if aid climbing up to C3 terrain.

alexd81 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 20
CamBrown wrote:

Anyone have any idea (~rough time frame) when Totem might have replacements for the basics? It took just over a week to get a reply from Totem but I have yet to hear of a process to address the issue. How many cams do you own that have been affected (I have 7)? What are others expectations for receiving replacements, etc? My favorite cams are gone from my rack. Perhaps I need to re-sling my old metolious cams and role the dice with my old aliens again, or perhaps my affected basics 6-7Kn strength doesn't sound too bad in many lead scenarios... especially if aid climbing up to C3 terrain.

Well, they have had to recall all the basic cams they manufactured over about 6 month span. And production is currently stopped. Unless hey drop everything (such as making Totem cams) or dramatically up their limited production capacity, I don't see how this recall doesn't last well into next year. 

John Wilder · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2004 · Points: 1,530
CamBrown wrote:

Anyone have any idea (~rough time frame) when Totem might have replacements for the basics? It took just over a week to get a reply from Totem but I have yet to hear of a process to address the issue. How many cams do you own that have been affected (I have 7)? What are others expectations for receiving replacements, etc? My favorite cams are gone from my rack. Perhaps I need to re-sling my old metolious cams and role the dice with my old aliens again, or perhaps my affected basics 6-7Kn strength doesn't sound too bad in many lead scenarios... especially if aid climbing up to C3 terrain.

Depends on how many cams need replacing and when they get to a place where they feel confident in the swage process. I would suspect that this will be a months long process- if not up to a year for some customers once shipping to and from Spain is factored in. 

Eric and Lucie · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 140
John Wilder wrote:

... in the swage process... 

Just for the record: the issue is with the brazing between the stem cable and the head (not swaging).

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply

Log In to Reply