Mountain Project Logo

CT - Indian Council Caves

Original Post
Maverick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 227

Has anyone boudlered around Indian Council Cave area in Barkhamsted, CT?  Is it fun/worth a 1hr drive (from more eastern CT)?  Looks like from pics there could be some fun for a couple hours but haven't really heard much, of if it is even allowed.

Thanks

Bryce Adamson · · Burlington, CT · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 1,392

There are some really cool formations there. The rock is very sharp. The rocks are on state land off of the Tunxis Trail. You used to be able to get in by parking at the corner of Legyt road and 179 and hiking in the MDC access road to the trail. However, a couple of years ago, they developed the access road and put up no trespassing signs. The word I've heard is that they don't care if you're using the road to access state land, but I haven't been there in a long time to know.

Gene O D · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 836

I'm from the town next door and hiked out there once with some bouldering pads and although there were a lot of enticing formations the rock was very sharp and covered in lots of very old big lichen. It is really flakey schist of the Hartland Formation and it is so crumbly it even broke off in my fingers in a few places. If you're in the area and have particularly tough hands it's definitely worth a visit to see and hang out at, because it is some rad rock, but there aren't really that many viable or great bouldering problems. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "CT - Indian Council Caves"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started