Mountain Project Logo

Climbing near Napa?

Original Post
Buddy Smith · · GA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 40

I'm going to be in Napa at the end of September and the first week of October. Any sport crags in the vicinity that are worth hauling the gear for? Gonna have some non climbers with me who can hike while I climb. I lead 5.8 sport and 5.7 trad and can follow 9 on both. A place that has TR options would be supreme! Cheers 

Maxwell Dergosits · · South Lake Tahoe · Joined May 2017 · Points: 104

Look at Mt St Helena, has one of the immediate bay area's only multi pitch climbs

splitclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 18

Yes. definitely bring gear and go to Mt. St. Helena.  there are several trad climbs but you would have lots to climb if you just brings draws.

You can set up top ropes on a lot of the climbs.  

If I wasn't out of town the first week of October, I'd try to meet up with you.  

Justin Ibershoff · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 21

Buddy - Will you be in Napa on Sunday 9/24? I'm in the area for work for a few days and bringing a 60m rope and some gear and hoping to find a partner for a day. I think Sunday will be my only free day, haven't been to the area before but Mount St. Helena looks like a great spot.

Buddy Smith · · GA · Joined May 2017 · Points: 40

No, I arrive in Napa on the 28th and leave October 7

Morty Gwin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2008 · Points: 0

That trad pitch on St Helena is dirty, doesn't protect well, is only a pitch and a half and has no other redeeming qualities. Not worth the rack hauling. But there are some decent sport climbs although short. The bay area has less than stellar climbing in the close vicinity, better bouldering but still St Helena is your best option, although crowded on weekends. There's some excellent hiking near the climbs as well. In fact it's a hike to get to the climbs your looking for! There's a climbing gym in Napa called Rockzilla, a real climbers gym, no yoga heh. They have the best beta for St Helena

fuck you · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 0

wine country rocks....pick it up

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern California
Post a Reply to "Climbing near Napa?"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.