Colleges that offer SPI?

Original Post
Hobo Greg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 110

Trying to use my Americorps scholarship but it's been difficult since I'm not interested in a degree nor do I have loans to pay off. Already have WFR and LNT Master Educator, was gonna get an SPI from Appalachian State but they require three credit hours for the Ed award but the SPI course is only one.

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 265
Hobo Greg wrote:

Trying to use my Americorps scholarship but it's been difficult since I'm not interested in a degree nor do I have loans to pay off. Already have WFR and LNT Master Educator, was gonna get an SPI from Appalachian State but they require three credit hours for the Ed award but the SPI course is only one.

Find two credits that interest you. Geology? Photography? Figure drawing???

Best, OLH

Old lady H wrote:

Find two credits that interest you. Geology? Photography? Figure drawing???

Best, OLH

I won't be around there long enough to take any courses. The SPI is a few days long.

Jeff Luton · · Ventucky Ca · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0
Hobo Greg wrote:

I won't be around there long enough to take any courses. The SPI is a few days long.

Any chance there are other courses of similar lengths to the SPI? Or get the SPI taken care of and basically waste the rest of the scholarship. But if I was a scholar in your predicament I would take a course I know absolutely nothing about like machining or some other type of trade that would be interesting to learn about and could help put down the road

Jeff Luton wrote:

Any chance there are other courses of similar lengths to the SPI? Or get the SPI taken care of and basically waste the rest of the scholarship. But if I was a scholar in your predicament I would take a course I know absolutely nothing about like machining or some other type of trade that would be interesting to learn about and could help put down the road

Again, that would be cool, but I'm not sticking around North Carolina for any extended period of time. It's found money to me, quite BS that the usage rules are so strict considering how hard I worked for it (and was only paid room board and $75 a week while doing so). I just don't want it to go to waste, and I only have two more years to use it up. I've got $4600 and nothing to use it on!

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,755
Hobo Greg wrote:

Again, that would be cool, but I'm not sticking around North Carolina for any extended period of time. It's found money to me, quite BS that the usage rules are so strict considering how hard I worked for it (and was only paid room board and $75 a week while doing so). I just don't want it to go to waste, and I only have two more years to use it up. I've got $4600 and nothing to use it on!

Well somewhere in that time you'll need to re-cert your WFR. Hopefully you could do that with the credit.

Jeff Luton · · Ventucky Ca · Joined Aug 2016 · Points: 0
Hobo Greg wrote:

I was going more of for show up for a couple days, learn a few basics and dip. Still a waste of $4600 .

AJ Leiden · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 15

Maybe take a NOLS course instead? They'll match a full award which is pretty rad. I have an AmeriCorps award too and am going to go that route if I decide not to go back to school.

Matt Zia · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 171

Check out the School for International Expedition Training (http://expeditiontraining.org/). I'm pretty sure that vets can use the GI Bill for their courses, so I imagine you could use Americorps awards as well. Worth asking them about it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply