Mountain Project Logo

Pectoral? Injury Advice

Original Post
J-Moe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 20

Hey all, 

A week ago I crashed my mtn bike and took the end of the handlebars in the the side of my pec (almost the armpit). It's been sore, but I figured something was just bruised and would heal up pretty quickly. Yesterday, I was out climbing and tried to pull hard with that arm (basically doing a pull-up with my right hand on a good edge, left hand on a mediocore crimp) and halfway through the pull-up move I heard a pop/snap. Now basically anything I do that activates my right pectoral muscle hurts a bit. Even just lifting my arm straight out from my body starts hurting somewhere between 30 and 45 degrees.

Any ideas on what I might have done to myself/treatment?

B Owens · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 60
J-Moe wrote:

Hey all, 

A week ago I crashed my mtn bike and took the end of the handlebars in the the side of my pec (almost the armpit). It's been sore, but I figured something was just bruised and would heal up pretty quickly. Yesterday, I was out climbing and tried to pull hard with that arm (basically doing a pull-up with my right hand on a good edge, left hand on a mediocore crimp) and halfway through the pull-up move I heard a pop/snap. Now basically anything I do that activates my right pectoral muscle hurts a bit. Even just lifting my arm straight out from my body starts hurting somewhere between 30 and 45 degrees.

Any ideas on what I might have done to myself/treatment?

Sounds like a tear.  Rest, and see a doctor.

J-Moe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 20
Bowens wrote:

Sounds like a tear.  Rest, and see a doctor.

Yup. Went to a walk-in today and that's what the doc said.

But resting is no fun...

B Owens · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 60
J-Moe wrote:

Yup. Went to a walk-in today and that's what the doc said.

But resting is no fun...

Find a really good video game and dive in for a couple weeks?

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Pectoral? Injury Advice"
in the Injuries and Accidents