Acceptable trail markings?

Original Post
Sandy Crimp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 5

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/113566813

Is the LV community OK with this sort of trail markings to cliffs now?   This seems insane to me, but maybe I am the odd ball.  

One of many, many, such markings found on the trail to "Comedy Central" not too funny IMHO. 

John Hegyes · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2002 · Points: 4,734

I saw that when I was up there a couple weeks ago and thought that was completely ridiculous. Very trashy. Whoever is responsible should clean that up.

Matt Kuehl · · Las Vegas · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,540

The best place to report this is by writing a detailed description (or GPS) of where it is located and report it to the Friends of Red Rock who organizes graffiti removal. I am sure they will also be in touch with the SNCC and BLM to help organize more volunteers for removal.  *Side note after looking a little more at the location. It might need to be brought up with the Forest Service as it looks like the crag is somewhat near the boundary line. Either way reporting it officially is a good start.

Write them here: preserve@friendsofredrockcanyon.org

Sandy Crimp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 5

Matt,

As this was almost certainly done by climbers, I had hoped here would be a better solution.  I hope those responsible will quickly go fix it themselves.  This is abnormal behavior for climbers.  I think we are better to give them a moment to correct it before highlighting it to others.  My  expectation is that the intent was well-meaning, but the action was clearly misguided.  

Nicholas Gillman · · Las Vegas · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 331

Yeah I'd be curious to know who it was we .... saw it a week or two back aswell , it follows the switch backs on the lower rockier part of the trail and then dies out higher up where it's just mostly dirt. someone must be going out there to "refresh" it though cause it wasn't as prominent and bright as it is in the photo those spots look pretty fresh.

phylp · · Upland · Joined May 2015 · Points: 115

When I see things like this, the only thing I can think is that the people who did it think they are doing other climbers a favor.  It's not.  Even if no authority or tourist or hiker ever saw this, it's not a favor to other climbers.  

splitclimber · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 5

I think this is disgusting and totally unacceptable.  

It doesn't matter if BLM or other agencies mark trails.  It is no excuse or justification to do this.  

Using marking paint to lead people a crag is just plain wrong.  What happened to just using cairns, when necessary.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply