Mountain Project Logo

Help me ID some aid gear

Original Post
Adam Fleming · · Dillon, CO · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 303

My mentor died and I am tasked with sorting through all his gear.  I myself am not an aid climber, so I don't know exactly what I have here.  I would be thankful if you took some time to tell me what's in these pictures with as much description as possible.

apoet · · AZ · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 193

Angle piton. Lost arrow pitons. Knife blade pitons. Spectre ice piton. Peckers. Hooks. Rivet hangers. Cam hooks. Fifi hooks. 

Andy Novak · · Golden, Co · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 355

SOLID assortment of hooks..

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 13,859

In top photo, from top to bottom:  angle, knifeblade, lost arrow (X4), knifeblade, BD spectre ice piton.

Bottom photo, upper deck, left to right:  cam hooks (X2), BD Cliffhanger (X2), Cam hooks (X3), BD Grappling hooks (X2), BD Talon (X2), BD fifi hook (X2).

Bottom photo, lower deck:  selection of keyhole hangers, rivet hangers, BD peckers (X2).

Jack C. · · Calgary, AB · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 325

Top pic from top to bottom:

Angle piton

Knifeblade piton

Lost arrow piton

Lost arrow

Lost arrow 

Lost arrow

Knifeblade

Ice piton

Second pic left to right top row: cam hook, cam hook, hook, hook, cam hook, cam hook, cam hook, hook, hook, talon hook, talon hook, fifi hook, fifi hook

Second pic left to right bottom: rivet hanger, bunch of keyhole hangers, bunch more rivet hangers, and some peckers.

Great stuff to have. Sorry to hear about your mentor, Adam.

All the best.

Adam Fleming · · Dillon, CO · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 303
Brian in SLC wrote:

In top photo, from top to bottom:  angle, knifeblade, lost arrow (X4), knifeblade, BD spectre ice piton.

Bottom photo, upper deck, left to right:  cam hooks (X2), BD Cliffhanger (X2), Cam hooks (X3), BD Grappling hooks (X2), BD Talon (X2), BD fifi hook (X2).

Bottom photo, lower deck:  selection of keyhole hangers, rivet hangers, BD peckers (X2).

Thank you, all, especially you, Brian.

Are the wires the rivet hangers and the angled metal the keyhole hangers?

Adam Fleming wrote:

Thank you, all, especially you, Brian.

Are the wires the rivet hangers and the flat metal the keyhole hangers?

Yep.

Adam Password · · Timbuktu · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

Are you trying to sell? If so, I'll take the cams and the rivet hangers. Just give me a price. 

Adam Orton wrote:

Are you trying to sell? If so, I'll take the cams and the rivet hangers. Just give me a price. 

Ditto: I'd be potentially interested in the pins.

Nick · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 0

Sorry for your loss.  If you would like to sell the lot, I am interested in buying the lot.

Loganator · · blue van, on the highway to no · Joined Jan 2012 · Points: 240

That's a dreamy set of hooks. Don't sell it! If you ever have dreams of El cap, that's the stuff you'll need to do it clean.

One time my dad took me aside and said to me, very seriously "son. I don't care how dire straights youve got... Never. Sell. Gear" If this is your mentors aid rack, I can't imagine having a better spirit guide lift you to the top of the captain!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply