Mountain Project Logo

Least smoky alpine climbing

Original Post
Nick Cypress · · Albuquerque, NM · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 10

My climbing partner and I were planning on climbing the Backbone ridge of dragontail peak 9/16–17 but as of now that area is closed due to the Jack Creek fire. There are tons of fires in Oregon and Washington and we are still wanting  to go climbing in Alpine terrain. I've been climbing in Darrington (clear on 9/2), Washington pass, and at goat wall near Mazama for the past 5 days and the smoke has been manageable. What are your suggestions for the least smoky destinations? 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 65
Cypress Kappeyne wrote:

My climbing partner and I were planning on climbing the Backbone ridge of dragontail peak 9/16–17 but as of now that area is closed due to the Jack Creek fire. There are tons of fires in Oregon and Washington and we are still wanting  to go climbing in Alpine terrain. I've been climbing in Darrington (clear on 9/2), Washington pass, and at goat wall near Mazama for the past 5 days and the smoke has been manageable. What are your suggestions for the least smoky destinations? 

Colorado.

Or France.

Dan Cooksey · · Pink Ford Thunderbird · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365

My buddy just drove up from Colorado.  He said the smoke from the west is just blanketing everything to the east.   If you have found some manageable climbing on Washington pass I say stick with it!

Jplotz · · Cashmere, WA · Joined Sep 2011 · Points: 1,315

Climbed Liberty Crack this past Monday.  Take a look:

My lungs were burning. Fun climbing though!

Cosmic Charlie · · Washington · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0

I was just in CO last weekend.  Pretty smokey out there as well.  Just hoping for some rain/cold weather soon.  

Roots · · Wherever I am · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 20

Along the 20 was clear yesterday..3 Finger, Washington all GTG.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Pacific Northwest
Post a Reply to "Least smoky alpine climbing"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started