Mountain Project Logo

Royal Arches, Yosemite Trip Report!

Original Post
Alec Sluser · · Concord CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 26

Climbed Royal Arches this past weekend. Not my most favorable route, but check out the trip report here!

Dan B · · California · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 305

Nice!

Thanks man. Wanna climb sometime? 

Dan B · · California · Joined Oct 2015 · Points: 305

Sure! Down for half dome? I got an extra swami belt.

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

At some point millenials gotta learn some climbing history and gain some perspective.

I got an extra string for my Gri-Gri to belay you with Danny. Let’s go! 

What do you mean Harumpfster?

Harumpfster Boondoggle · · Between yesterday and today. · Joined Apr 2018 · Points: 148

The Royal Arches was first climbed in 1936 and was the most technical and continuous rock climb in North America at the time further opening up the concept of "Big Wall" climbing without real summits and rock climbing as a pursuit alone (rather than just training for mountains). It put Yosemite on the international map as a climbing destination.

It also featured the very first penji in North American climbing ushering in other advances in aid climbing and making other routes possible that were not previously imagined.

There probably is not a more historically significant rock climb in North America for it directly led to all future climbing routes in Yosemite and that changed the world of climbing forever.

It is in that context that the route has to be appreciated though it is going to seem "meh" by modern standards of continuous difficulty and purity of line.

I never doubted the historical aspect of the climb. Even though I may have an unpopular opinion about the quality of Royal Arches doesn’t relate to the fact I’m a millennial. I might just have a different appreciation of historical routes than you do.

Is Royal Arches a historical route that pushed the limits of climbing in that era? Yes. Is the quality of climbing on that route “meh” at best? I personally think so.
-Sent from my iPhone

Sam Golden · · melbourne, FL · Joined Nov 2011 · Points: 25

Alec you climb routes in the future huh? What type of time machine do you use?

For the grade... 5.7... that route is fun...

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480

Really enjoyed reading the trip report Alec! One question, do you mean to use the word defiantly not definitely or is spell check putting words on your page?

Don’t put too much thought into Hump booger. I felt old and salty around 2011 when everyone who threw a leg over a DH bike landed backflips. “Back in my day the North Shore was gnar! Now it’s paved..”

Bob Pearson · · San Leandro, CA · Joined Jan 2013 · Points: 0

Sounds like you guys didn't need a rope on this one. It makes for a great solo romp but you will actually have to finish the climb which means doing the final slab traverse and then enjoy the scenic North Dome Gully. The slab can be wet in spring and also covered in pine needles in the fall. 

F r i t z · · North Mitten · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 995

Thanks for the good read !

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trip Reports
Post a Reply to "Royal Arches, Yosemite Trip Report!"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.