Mountain Project Logo

Best guidebook for ME?

Original Post
Kate Johnson · · Chattanooga, TN · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 35

Looking for Shagg, Evans Notch, Mahoosucs, Clifton, Kineo, Camden, Katahdin, Tumbledown...not necc all, but the more comprehensive the better :) Thanks for any info! (Also good to know if no comprehensive book exists.)

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

Mainer here. The North Conway Rock Climbs book covers Shagg and Clifton and a few others. There is an Acadia specific book. A lot of the climbing in this state is undocumented aside from MP. 

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

There is no even remotely comprehensive guidebook for Maine climbing, and many areas aren't covered in any books. The book that selectively covers the most extensive number of Maine crags, including many of the areas you mention, is the second edition of Rock Climbing, New England by Stewart Green published by Falcon Books. As Caesar mentioned, North Conway Rock Climbs by Jerry Handren includes some of the crags in the western part of the State, but not Clifton which is far to the east outside of Bangor.  There is a 'dedicated' book for the Clifton area but it is quite out-of-date and I don't know if it is currently available. There is also a small guidebook for the cliffs around Camden, but similarly old and likely unavailable. Acadia also has it's own book, this one only a year or so old and excellent, by Grant Simmons. Some Maine ice climbs, including the classics, are included in Shades of Blue. As far as I know that's it for published guidebook coverage for Maine.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Best guidebook for ME?"
in the Northeastern States