Adventure Projects is hiring a web engineer to join us in Boulder, CO
Mountain Project Logo

Bad day on Tahquitz!! Wednesday September 6th.

Original Post
Tradiban · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2004 · Points: 11,435

Big rescue going on. My parents could hear someone screaming for help from their porch and saw a couple of ambulances. Anyone know what happened?

Roy Suggett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 7,470

Check the local sheriff's sub station in town. 

One fatality and someone is stuck on the wall...massive rockfall.

Joe Garibay · · Ventura, Ca · Joined Apr 2014 · Points: 96

So sad...

Kemper Brightman · · Tucson · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 2,061

goodness, so sad. Is anyone keeping track of the incidents on Tahquitz? It seems like every month there's a new horror story about the place posted here...

Joseph Foreman · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Terrible. Tradiban, you know the area? 

Albert Kernberg wrote:

Terrible. Tradiban, you know the area? 

North side I think. Lots of loose stuff over there. Someone recently posted about a huge block at the end of the Larks.

Jim Dover · · Idyllwild, CA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 150

I drove up to Humber and spoke with a few of the rangers. Rock fall on the north face of Tahquitz--left of whodunnit apparently. People hiking on Devils slide said it shook the earth below their feet--hard to imagine that. One fatality, female with two companions. One out by ambulance, two by helicopter. Apparently, however things may change as we learn more. 

Damn. I just did Sahara Terror last weekend but there wasn't anything too horrible looking to fall off.

DannyJ · · San Diego, CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 90

Wow. Terrible news. Honestly this makes me think twice about climbing anywhere over on the North Face.

DannyJ · · San Diego, CA · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 90
Danny Check · · Temecula California · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 20

Hey guys and gals,

I wish i was responding under better circumstance but I just got back from the hospital. My best friend and climbing partner Jon was the fatality today. He and his brother went climbing while i stayed home to do some catch up work for my business. Apparently a massive rockfall hit them. Jon was killed immediately and his brother was pinned between a rock and a tree upside down and by his ankles. It looks like his brother is going to be ok.

Jon leaves behind a mother, father, three brothers, a wife, son and unborn daughter. I have never met such an admirable man in my life. He was my hero and my best friend. He taught me everything there is to know about climbing and rewakened my desire for adventure. I owe so much to him and will never forget the past year with him. Please keep his family in your thoughts prayers.

Danny Check wrote:

Hey guys and gals,

I wish i was responding under better circumstance but I just got back from the hospital. My best friend and climbing partner Jon was the fatality today. He and his brother went climbing while i stayed home to do some catch up work for my business. Apparently a massive rockfall hit them. Jon was killed immediately and his brother was pinned between a rock and a tree upside down and by his ankles. It looks like his brother is going to be ok.

Jon leaves behind a mother, father, three brothers, a wife, son and unborn daughter. I have never met such an admirable man in my life. He was my hero and my best friend. He taught me everything there is to know about climbing and rewakened my desire for adventure. I owe so much to him and will never forget the past year with him. Please keep his family in your thoughts prayers.

Danny, horrible news.

If you can find out what route they were on that would be helpful so we could assess the area for more hazards. Although, there's probably plenty of hazards and always will be :(

Jim Dover · · Idyllwild, CA · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 150

Danny, I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. We are up here in town have been checking in with each other to make sure that it wasn't oneof OUR friends but we knew that it was somebody's friend. Wish there was more I could say.

Tradiban wrote:

Danny, horrible news.

If you can find out what route they were on that would be helpful so we could assess the area for more hazards. Although, there's probably plenty of hazards and always will be :(

I tried to find out but it seems murky. The first responders said he wasnt even on a route and that the rock fall caught them on the trail. From the sounds of it, it was the northwest face. Jon loved the larks and one year ago to the day we had made our first send of "the larks" so i am almost positive that was the route he did prior to the accident.. this makes me wonder if it happened on the north sode walk down. If anyone finds out please let me and the community know. These tragedies provide insight for the rest of us to learn from.

Joseph Foreman · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0

Danny, 

I'm very sorry for your loss. Jon sounds like a standup guy. Thinking about his wife and two children. Thinking about you as well. Though tragic now, events like these often have a positive impact in the survivors' lives. Hope this is true for you, Jon's brother and Jon's wife.

Survivor's guilt and trauma are a bitch. Each will show up in your life with little warning and in spectacular ways. No shame in seeking therapy, even before you notice something feels wrong. I was involved in a similar situation, thankfully no deaths, and benefited greatly from therapy. Feel free to message me if you'd like to know more about my experience around therapy. There should be no stigma with seeking the help of a mental health professional. 

Like others, I have experienced the unpredictable nature of rockfall at Tahquitz. A simple google search will yield decades of documented accidents which directly resulted from rockfall. 

Best wishes,

Joe

Guy Keesee · · Moorpark, CA · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 311
Tyrol Wellingsworth III · · Tustin, CA · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 915
Danny Check wrote:

Hey guys and gals,

Im so sorry. My friend and I heard it all from El Camino. Im happy you are ok and much love to y'all right now. 

Danny Check wrote:

I tried to find out but it seems murky. The first responders said he wasnt even on a route and that the rock fall caught them on the trail. From the sounds of it, it was the northwest face. Jon loved the larks and one year ago to the day we had made our first send of "the larks" so i am almost positive that was the route he did prior to the accident.. this makes me wonder if it happened on the north sode walk down. If anyone finds out please let me and the community know. These tragedies provide insight for the rest of us to learn from.

I'm almost sure this was on the North face based on people I have talked to. Definitely not on the walk down. Larks is a likely spot.

Tyrol Wellingsworth III · · Tustin, CA · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 915
Tradiban wrote:

I'm almost sure this was on the North face based on people I have talked to. Definitely not on the walk down. Larks is a likely spot.

It was on the Larks. My partner and I were on a 10 plus pitch marathon yesterday 8am-3pm, and heard the fall. Rushed over to the Maidens and saw commotion on north side. My other partner was on SAR and we just confermed it was on route.That being said, that whole side can be a gamble in warmer or wet conditions (as ya probably know). It will always be loose and further rockfall on any routes there will continue. Again much love to the victims.

Hey guys. I just got a message from one of the climbers first on the scene. It sounds like it did in fact happen on route of The Larks. It was Jons favorite route so there is some solace in that. We were both very aware of the rockfall hazdards on that face. Jon was fantastic at taking every step possible to protect against rockfall. He was clever in his belays and made sure to try and find shelters for us as we went. If any of you have been on the route though, you know there are several belays that are rather exposed. 

Anyway. A big thank you from all of his friends and family to those who responded and also to those who provided correct and accurate information. This information is vital to us. Be smart out there and do not let his death be what keeps you from climbing. He loved this sport and would want people to go out and have a good time. Next time you send, especially on The Big Stone, think of Jon. 

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Bad day on Tahquitz!! Wednesday September 6th."
in the Southern California