Once

Original Post
Ross Swanson · · Pinewood Springs · Joined Jul 2001 · Points: 1,750

I was showing my daughters SO my old climbing shoes to see if any fit, and I was saying these shoes were Beth's (my spouse) but "she stopped climbing, afraid of the exposure, you know heights" and he said "Yeah, you only live once, right!" I paused and had to think about it, but said "Yeah, sure."

I realized a minute later  that no, some of us live more than once, I've had my share of close calls. 

Sean Haynes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 101
Ross Swanson wrote:

I was showing my daughters SO my old climbing shoes to see if any fit, and I was saying these shoes were Beth's (my spouse) but "she stopped climbing, afraid of the exposure, you know heights" and he said "Yeah, you only live once, right!" I paused and had to think about it, but said "Yeah, sure."

I realized a minute later  that no, some of us live more than once, I've had my share of close calls. 

That's interesting to think about. 

I imagine you have some close calls you could share. Care to? 

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 871

I can vouch for Ross.  I saw him use up one of his nine lives.

Hope you are well, Ross.

Lena chita · · Cleveland, OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 250

It's an interesting way of using "you only live once" line... Usually it is used to justify DOING something fun, not stopping it.

But yes, some of us are using those 9 lives at a faster rate than others.

Seth Monteleone · · Charlotte, NC · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 28

Why is there a Supertopo thread on MP?

Justin Compton · · Lafayette, CO · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 785

Ross,

Remember when part of the anchor blew out on us on the Kor Route on Cathedral Wall?  And the next anchor on the partially attached flake that moved closer to the edge when I weighted it? My life flashed before my eyes twice that day...  

Matt Himmelstein · · Orange, California · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 115

Passenger seat of a car that was hit by a train (from the passenger side).

Fell at the top of Dave's Run in Mammoth and slid through the rock garden at the bottom of Huevos Grande without a helmet (I wear one now).

Got dumped out of a raft on the American River in a massive flow year and was swept down river, only to be rescued by an oar boat.

Kocked my head a couple of times on the bottom of the river trying to do an Eskmo roll after turning turtle in my hard shell (I was wearing a helmet there).

Long whipper on Whodunnit in the chimney section without a helmet (I wear one now).

Plenty of scary car accidents and close calls (some actually not my fault),

Treated (and in remission for the last 5+ yrs) for Stage III/IV head and neck cancer.

Yep, you only live once.  Who knows WTF is going to kill you.  I'll probably live to 90 and then choke on a 2-bite brownie I try to eat in one bite.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply