Building a Back Yard Wall Questions!

Original Post
Dave Dillon · · Tewksbury · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 180

Hey all. I'm putting together a back yard training wall for myself and my kids to mess around on. I'm planning on something like a 20 degree overhang max because I'd like my kids to be able to use it. It would be cool if it were adjustable from vertical to overhang... but thats a stretch. I'd like it to be self supporting and not pour concrete footings in the event it has to be moved for whatever reason. Already have plywood and holds... just need to come up with a clever plan.

Has anyone had issues with home owners insurance hassling you about the safety of a DIY wall? I'm a little concerned mine may attack us here in the strict state of Massachusetts.

I'd love to see some outdoor DIY walls ya'll may have built. If you've built a free-standing outdoor wall please chime in and post some pictures! I need some creative influence.

Thanks!

neils · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2016 · Points: 20
Kevin Stricker · · Evergreen, CO · Joined Oct 2002 · Points: 555

Hi,

The problem with a freestanding wall is you need to find ways to keep the supports out of the way of your climbing.  The steeper the wall the farther the supports need to extend.  If you want to build something that is usable in many seasons then you need to cover the back of the wall with roofing panels.  If you don't plan to use marine grade plywood and pressure treated lumber or it will start to fall apart pretty quickly.

Here is my adjustable angle mostly freestanding woodie at 15 Degrees

and at 40

I use a tarp as a lean-to that closes off the wall area and extends across the patio when in use.  Fully flashed with a metal roof and a gutter to get the water out of the way.

I think it would be cheaper to dig 4 posts and build a patio roof then hang the wall from a beam if you have the flat ground.  PM me if you are serious about the build and need some plans.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply