For next few days, REI will DOUBLE your gift to the Access Fund - up to $65,000. Donate Now!
Mountain Project Logo

Any suggestions about carrying on gear for international flight to Spain from USA?

Original Post
Eddie D · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2016 · Points: 0

bringing rope, about 15 quickdraws, grigri, shoes, chalk

Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,104
Eddie D wrote:

bringing rope, about 15 quickdraws, grigri, shoes, chalk

shouldn't be a problem at all.

ConradS · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0

Had no problem carry the same gear on the way there but on the way back the security in Barcelona really freaked out about the climbing rope. Ended up getting pulled into 2nd screen room and hassled for over an hour. Shocked the heck out of us. They claimed the rope was a weapon. WTF? Anyway it was probably a one of event, but I will be checking my gear for now on.

Alan Rubin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

I've flown there (and other overseas destinations) several times. I'm conservative, so I check my rack, harness, chalk, rope, though I do bring a pair of shoes as carry on. I've rarely had problems, though once returning to the US, I was pulled aside at Customs and asked what was "the rope-like thing" in my checked bag. I explained that it was indeed a rope, explained why, and was moved on without further problems.

Lena chita · · OH · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 745

We had no trouble at all on the way TO Spain, or anywhere else in the world so far. (e.i. going through US customs with the gear)

But coming back from Spain, we had to check in all metal equipment-- quickdraws, gri-gri, even a little foldable stick clip -- because they wouldn't let us through with anything "weapon-like". Didn't seem to mind the rope at all though...

As long as you leave yourself plenty of time, it is not a big deal, even if you have to check things in on the way back. One bag is free on international flights (so far), so leave yuorself time to repack things, and worst case scenario, you'd have to pay the fee for the second bag... Irritating, sure, but you just spent a lot of money to go on a climbing trip to Spain. A luggage fee is probably within your budget.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Any suggestions about carrying on gear for inte…"
in the International