Mountain Project Logo

Everyone you meet

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 290
eli poss wrote:

Better yet, you could come to Durango and climb with both of us. And to Steve, let me know if you want to get out and climb any time, if you don't mind climbing with a weakling like me. Perhaps Dolores Canyon, I hear you know the area well. I've been itching to go back there since Ian took me 2 years ago. 

Tempting....sooooo tempting. 

Unfortunately, that would mean I've pretty much bailed on everything, and walked out the door with my thumb up.

Still tempting.... 

:-) OLH

s.price · · PS,CO · Joined Dec 2010 · Points: 1,348
Old lady H wrote:

Tempting....sooooo tempting. 

Unfortunately, that would mean I've pretty much bailed on everything, and walked out the door with my thumb up.

Still tempting.... 

:-) OLH

Get your Sissy Hankshaw on :-)

TheBirdman Friedman · · Eldorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2010 · Points: 65

“Death is not the opposite of life but an innate part of it. By living our lives, we nurture death.” 

Haruki Murakami

s.price wrote:

Get your Sissy Hankshaw on :-)

OMG!!!

You.

Are not.

Helping.

I date back to the book. Too bad that's about how long ago my "sell by" date expired...

:-/ H.

"Cash, grass or ass, babe, cash, grass or ass..."

My alleged friend Nate, reminding me what my generation was good at.

Sigh.

Well it's a great book. One of my all time favorites.

Even better if you are still a teenager, and your older brother suggests it to you...

:-)

Tryin' ta work here..

Old lady H wrote:

Even better if you are still a teenager, and your older brother suggests it to you...

:-)

Tryin' ta work here..

Funny you say that cause that is exactly how I was introduced to it. Get to work.

s.price wrote:

Funny you say that cause that is exactly how I was introduced to it. Get to work.

Hmm... My brother got around in those days.

David Vogel · · Lake Forest, CA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 1,360

Thanks for the beta on Be Kind. Still on my list, I'm all for long term motivation and planning. I can't climb and never have climbed that hard yet, I'm still seeing improvements and getting back to what I was leading pre-injury. Point being I will send Be Kind before I hang up my climbing shoes.

Climbing locally this Spring would be rad! Stoked to read that sentence, Thanks for the invite Steve.

I'm really glad you decided to share the quote and your thoughts after days of contemplation. As previously mentioned, some previous posts and this thread specifically have struck a chord. I like how Eric L said your words hit a reset button for him despite not knowing you at all.

Ultimately, the quote is very befitting for me to live by, and hopefully (as you mentioned) some folks hopefully will think about the quote before posting something that is probably unnecessary. Thanks again Steve. 

Your welcome.

Max Supertramp · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 65

cheers to your betterment of our world brother price.  thank you for being.  and caring about the resta us hordes

Joe Lindberg · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2017 · Points: 65

I've never met you, but your words reached me.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  

"What a long strange trip it's been"

Not every battle is a physical one. 

I have been diagnosed in the past with "mild" clinical depression (post partum depression run amok), and have managed that pretty well for a couple decades now. More than a few of us in that boat, and climbing is exceptionally beneficial to mental health as well as physical.

I've had conversations going with more than a few of you. Guess what? Every single one I've gotten to know, has a struggle of some sort going on, from illness to broken bones, to a broken heart, to struggling daily with sobriety. Sometimes, all of the above.

To those of you who are struggling with anything, please remember, that as much as you care what happens to us, that care includes you, also. You have a great many friends out here.

Best, OLH

I love meeting and chatting with you people! Any one who wanders through Boise, if an old lady will do, ya got a catch! 

Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 20

I lost my youngest brother (28) to suicide in Feb. I don't talk about it much to anyone outside of my family. He had moved back to Utah after living in MO for a few years and I had gotten him into climbing when he came back. We did some awesome multi-pitch trad, desert aid towers, ice climbing. I had lots of awesome stuff planned for us this year, but none of that is going to happen now. The last time I talked with him I told him how fun Ouray is and had a tentative plan to go there for some ice climbing. Sadly the ice this year didn't work out so we didn't go. He ended his life near the end of Winter. I wonder sometimes if I had been able to keep him having fun climbing if he would have been able to avoid taking his life. I know that realistically it would be impossible to keep him from the quiet time depression that he felt, but you always wonder what more you could have done. 

I guess the reason that I'm writing this now is the hope that if you're someone that's reading this and having those same problems you should know that your family and friends want you around. Life sucks sometimes and ending it may seem like a way to get away from the problems. The people in your life love you and want to keep doing rad stuff with you. Or just hang out. If you need something to do to get you out of a funk call someone, call me. Whatever it is, there is a better option than leaving this world too soon. 

@ Ryan, I'm so sorry. Keep listening to the logical part of your brain that knows this is nothing you could have prevented, nor is it your fault.

All, ditto to what Ryan said, but I will be brutally blunt.

Suicide increases the likelihood of others also choosing that path, including those you care about.

Read that again. Plant it firmly in your brain. If you cross that line, you will deeply hurt people.

If you care about the people in your life, get whatever help you need, before you need it, for their sake, as well as yours. Again, people out there love you, like it or not. An inconvenient truth I want you to LIVE with. Yeah, it sucks sometimes, but there it is. :-)

Best, Helen

King Tut · · Citrus Heights · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 435

I am so sorry for your loss, Ryan.

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

peaceful journey, Steve

pigsflyinsd · · San Diego, CA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 430

Steve and Ryan,

Thanks for sharing.  I've had friends and family both deal with cancer and suicide, and it's a tough pill to swallow.  Sometimes we forget how blessed we are, and how short and fragile life is.  It is a beautiful thing though and I try to enjoy every single day.  Thanks for the reminder.  Stay strong, and best to you and your loved ones.

Thanks for sharing that Ryan. 20 years ago on Sept.5th I lost one of my best friends to suicide. 

To all, Please reach out to someone if you start to consider this as an option. Lot's of non judgmental help out there. Contact me if need be.  

Depression is so misunderstood. It's hard to grasp unless you have experienced the overwhelming darkness depression carries in it's bags. I can assure you they are heavy bags.

Cindy · · Lafayette, CO · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 20

This thread is the Best thing I've ever read on MP.  Thanks to all for the positive words and thoughts.  

Be Kind.

I find I'm always looking for things that support me to live a better life, be a better person, but it sometimes seems so complex.  And then something like this comes along and so much is simplified.

Thank you for starting this thread Steve.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply to "Everyone you meet"
in the General Climbing