When does the yellow wall, gunks go out of the sun?

Original Post
moreannefrank · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0

Sure it's not much different than the rest of the trapps but when does it usually stop getting blasted by the sun? Looking to climb in it tomorrow 

Kevin Heckeler · · Upstate New York · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,411

The further north you go in the Trapps the earlier it goes into the shadows (the cliff bends a little).  The yellow wall being further north means sometime shortly after noon (1-2PM), compared to the Uberfall (south) which isn't until like 3PM(?).

Gregger Man · · Broomfield, CO · Joined Aug 2004 · Points: 1,249

Google Earth is a useful tool for this sort of question. You can plug in a particular date in the past and see a satellite photo of the sun exposure on the rock.  

Kevin Heckeler · · Upstate New York · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,411

Although I couldn't figure out the google earth trick, it did get me to look at the map and that bend isn't as pronounced as I remember it being, though I know from experience climbing near the yellow wall that it does go in the shade sooner.  There's obviously a few additional things factoring into when parts of the cliff go into the shade sooner/later than others.

moreannefrank · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 0
Kevin Heckeler wrote:

The further north you go in the Trapps the earlier it goes into the shadows (the cliff bends a little).  The yellow wall being further north means sometime shortly after noon (1-2PM), compared to the Uberfall (south) which isn't until like 3PM(?).

thanks I appreciate the response!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply