Mountain Project Logo

Hardest Single Pitch Trad route on gear?

eli poss · · Durango, Co · Joined May 2014 · Points: 507

Anybody heard any news on the new Wide Boyz route that's supposed to be 15a?

Jon Frisby · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Feb 2013 · Points: 130
Ted Pinson wrote:

Ondra doesn't seem to be that into hard crack climbing, but then he sent the Dawn Wall so I don't think there's anything he CAN'T do.  I doubt his fingers would fit if Tommy's don't, as he's fairly taller.

I thought about Cobra crack, but the consensus seems to be on 14b and the number of repeats makes me wonder if it's a tad easier.  The Macleod routes are also X, although that hasn't stopped other crazy ass Brits like Steve McClure.  I agree that it's really hard to compare different styles...Century Crack (14b) might actually be the toughest; I can't imagine climbing roof Offwidth.  Tom and Pete took a stab at Meltdown and said it might even be harder than 14c...

Not sure whether this was mentioned  but Carlo said in a recent interview that the crux on Meltdown isn't about finger size

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 210

^^Jeez...then what is it?  That was TC’s excuse, but maybe he just didn’t want to admit that his wife (at the time) climbed harder than him. :p

eli poss wrote:

Anybody heard any news on the new Wide Boyz route that's supposed to be 15a?

You mean Crucifix?  I think they’ve worked most of the sections (which they named a bunch of weird things as variations) but haven’t linked it yet.  Sounds pretty nutty...combination of roof fingers and offwidth.

Fan Yang · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2011 · Points: 41

The Recovery Drink, although Nico Favresse didn't give it a grade after his FA, several world's best crack climbers have tried it a lot and failed, and rumor has it that it is around 9a (14d). 

Nothing new but relevant - Sam Elias just repeated Brozone

Jon Po · · Mahwah, NJ · Joined Oct 2013 · Points: 170
Jon Frisby wrote:

Nothing new but relevant - Sam Elias just repeated Brozone

Soon the Gunks will have a harder route!

Jon Po wrote:

Soon the Gunks will have a harder route!

directly through the middle between the brozone start and French connection? Big Chris said that boulder was pretty Vhard

Cole Crawford · · Somerville, MA · Joined Sep 2017 · Points: 0
Christopher Smith · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Trad Climbing
Post a Reply to "Hardest Single Pitch Trad route on gear?"