Living in Las Vegas Beta

Original Post
Nate K · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 220

Not entirely climbing related but my wife and I are moving to Las Vegas in a few weeks and Im looking for advice on living situations. Were considering getting an apartment in one of those complexes that has a pool and a gym and all that because we dont know anybody and figure maybe we can make friends with people from the community. We've been looking in Summerlin mostly because its really the only neighborhood ive been to there. Anybody have any advice on good apartment complexes or does anyone maybe advise against apartment complexes? I was thinking of living in one of the ones around the red rock climbing center because its close to the gym and whole foods and only a few minutes drive to get outside of the city. 

If theres anything else I should know before moving please let me know. Thanks!

Lee Wilson · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 5

Summerlin can be hit or miss as can any part of Vegas. Find something that's gated to force the riffraff towards some more low hanging fruit. I have friends that live in different parts of Summerlin and get mail and packages stolen from time to time.

I've lived here a couple of years and like it, but I don't get around town much so can't really comment on any place in particular. Wouldn't jump on anything sight unseen though. Check them out a little first.

Anything on the west side that is close to HWY 215 will get you out to Red Rock pretty quickly. I live in the NW part of town which I like. Fairly quick to get out to RR/Calico, on the highway headed to UT, or on 95 and headed up to Mt Charleston. It's close to the office and I hardly ever head toward downtown, so this area works really well for me. Depending on what your scene is, it may vary for you.

Good luck!

Mackenzie Wilder · · Las Vegas, Nevada · Joined Apr 2016 · Points: 0

I live in the Southwest or the back side of Blue Diamond road ( way into Red Rock). Just moved to Vegas too. I lived in Summerlin for a few months and loved it but honestly I love the Southwest area more. Great food, right by 215 and 15. Close to Red Rock Canyon (I often bike in to) and 15 ish min away from all gyms. 

Weston L · · Summerlin, NV · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 808

Crime Mapping - Las Vegas

A useful tool in this town, especially for those coming from the East Coast, Midwest, or anywhere else really that has older buildings so anything relatively new seems nice.  Looks can be very deceiving in this town, given that most everything is relatively new.  

Mike T · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 95

+1 for the 18b Arts District or the historic downtown neighborhoods. 

Chase D · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 195

I always stayed away from apartment complexes and just rented houses when I lived in Vegas. You can get a nice house in summerlin for $1400-1500/month. My last place was near Desert Inn and the 215, about 5 minutes from Red Rock and Downtown Summerlin. Loved it there.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

Aleks Zebastian · · Boulder, CO · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 175
Nate K wrote:

climbing friend,

you get serious on your climbing rocks! you are not messing about with the strippers and the cocaine in las vegas!

BrokenChairs BrettC · · Sultan, WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 245
Nate K wrote:

It's hot.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340
Aleks Zebastian wrote:

climbing friend,

you get serious on your climbing rocks! you are not messing about with the strippers and the cocaine in las vegas!

sage advice

KrisG · · Henderson, NV · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 10

My gf and I moved here in February.  So far we love it.  The weather is great albeit hot in the summer, but that's what elevation (Mt. Charleston) and road trips are for.  But you probably already knew that.  Regarding housing, we looked exclusively in Summerlin and Henderson for a rental house.  Summerlin because proximity to Red Rocks, but ultimately ended up in Henderson to be nearer to my office (she works from home).  We did the drive beforehand and it only takes 40 min from our front door to the Red Rock loop road.  We moved from Boston, MA where the nearest decent climbing is an hour away and the good stuff is 2-4 hours away, so 40 min was nothing to us.  

Henderson, in the Green Valley Ranch/District area, is quite nice.  Plenty of shopping, grocery, pharmacy, department, home improvement, etc. stores and restaurants within 10 min drive.  And the strip is 20 min away if we ever want it.  There are also lots of parks and bike paths for quick and local runs/rides when you're short on time or don't want to drive.  And speaking of driving, the LV area is quite spread out so it would be quite difficult to be here without a car (you probably realize that already though).  If you enjoy driving/motorcycling the roads are mostly in great shape and there are a lot of great drives/rides to be had as well.

I agree with other posters that Summerlin can be hit or miss (so too can Henderson from what I've seen).  Definitely don't agree to anything sight unseen.  Also, ask about spiders/scorpions at any place you consider.  There are bark scorpions and black widows that can be an issue.  

If possible get a place with a pool that includes pool service.  In the 100+ degree temps, aka May through September, it's awesome to have that pool.  We were skeptical about it at first but I think we've used it almost every day this summer.

Good luck with your move and hit me up if you guys are looking for partners/friends when you get settled.

Kris

Nate K · · Las Vegas, NV · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 220

Thanks for the advice everyone. We moved to just outside of summerlin and it is indeed very hot here. Still been able to climb in the mornings though. I need parters so please send me a message if you wanna get out!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply