Alpine Focused Partner(s) In Los Angeles?

Original Post
Brenton Salmi · · Los Angeles · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 70

Hey!

I'm interested to see if anyone else around Los Angeles (I live on the westside) is looking for climbing partners that are focusing on more alpine/mountaineering style climbing? I'm relatively new to climbing (courted over from backpacking) and have just started leading in the gym and looking to get sport climbing, eventually trad. I'm focusing on more alpine/mountaineering based objectives right now with my climbing and hoping others on here may be looking for the same. I've got some experience but likely needing more of a mentor partner, honestly. I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this as I'm new to Mountain Project.

Also, I'm totally down for sport climbing locally to LA as well, just throwing out my interest in mountaineering focus and seeing who might catch.

My goals for this winter/spring is to climb Mt. Baldy in the snow, possibly Mt. Whitney as well whether that be in snow or along a more alpine route than Whitney Trail. 

Recent notable experience:

• Mt. Baker (Washington) Via Easton Glacier route
    • I took "Alpinism 1" with the American Alpine Institute early August 2017.
  • Some TR climbing at Mt. Erie in Washington
    • Part of Alpinism 1
  • General winter mountaineering / multi-pitch in RMNP this January (some TR ice climbing too)
    • My "lets see if I like freezing my butt off" test with the Colorado Mountain School January 2017
  • Mt. Whitney Via Whitney Trail
  • Lots of hikes of Mt. Baldy including an overnight on West Baldy via Bear Trail and decent through the 3 T's
  • I climb at Cliffs Of Id right now, thinking of switching over to Sender 1

p.s. Any tips for mountaineering clubs in LA? Sierra Mountaineering Club seems to be a bit far usually (near San Francisco)

Thanks!

- Brent

Mike Flanagan · · Redlands, CA · Joined Jul 2007 · Points: 55

Hi Brent,

You might reach out to Kevin and the folks at the rim of the world climbing club. All ability levels/interests can be found in that crew and they have monthly trips all over the state and more. Good luck.

cheers,

mike

Fernando Cal · · Long Beach, CA · Joined Dec 2015 · Points: 5

Sent PM

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply