Mountain Project Logo

Rogers rock: earliest put in time?

Original Post
Hobo Greg · · My Van · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 120

ADK rock says there's a $6 fee to access the launches? If so, then what's the earliest we can show up on a weekday? 

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 2,745

The day use fee at the state campground is up to $10 now. I don't know what time the entry booth is manned though. Normally when you get there, you're given a ticket to display on your dashboard. If you were rolling in pre-dawn you wouldn't get that, and if they might see your car at the boat launch lot without one, you might get spoken to upon your return.

They rent canoes from 10 AM to 5 PM if that's what you had in mind.

Nick Goldsmith · · Pomfret VT · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 440

don't know, never got there early ;)

Got it. Last question, is parking the boats obvious? I read that we will want to hike em up out of the water. Do the climbs then start at the base where it meets the water, or higher up?

SethG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 237

There is a small landing zone pretty much directly beneath the obvious long vertical crack of Little Finger. The climbing starts right there from this tiny patch of land. 

Dharma Bum · · Glen Haven, Co · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 585

Parking your boat is very obvious, there is only one small spit of land where you can get out of a boat.

SethG wrote:

There is a small landing zone pretty much directly beneath the obvious long vertical crack of Little Finger. The climbing starts right there from this tiny patch of land. 

Actually LF starts about 150' right of where you pull the boats out.

the most obvious  landing spot is 40m  left of little Finger. basicly the first patch of trees after a long section where the cliff goes right into the water.  Pull your boat up as high as possible and tie to trees. If the wind picks up and the waves get big it can get thrashed if too close to the water line. scramble climbers right , up a 12ft steep 4th class buttress (good oak tree to grab) and then a good path to the base of matrix, screaming Meanie, Little finger etc. 

directly beneath LF is a cliff jump into the lake. No landing spot for canoe.....

SethG · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 237

I'm sorry if I gave incorrect information! We got out of a motorboat, didn't pull it up on the land, but I remember a little slip of land below Little Finger. This photo is from the first belay on LF looking down. We jumped out just below LF but I see now in the photo that there is potentially better landing area to the skiier's right.

No place to Beach a canoe below LF. Just enough room to scramble out of the water there and 4th class up to the base of the climbs

Tina Roberts · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0
Hobo Greg wrote:

ADK rock says there's a $6 fee to access the launches? If so, then what's the earliest we can show up on a weekday? 

Does anyone/is it possible to use a small motorboat to access these climbs? If so, is there anywhere to beach it or would an anchor be necessary?

Josh Dulberger · · Denver, CO · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 0

I suspect you're best bet would be anchoring, even a rowboat with an outboard. It's a very small, awkward strip that is best suited for pulling out a canoe or small kayaks and probably not more than three or four. A motor would make that pretty awkward and row boats are pretty wide. You can tie up, but the wake around there can be substantial. I have anchored about 50 ft from the rock and used a tube to swim/float gear without any issue. 

Tina Roberts · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2017 · Points: 0
Josh Dulberger wrote:

I suspect you're best bet would be anchoring, even a rowboat with an outboard. It's a very small, awkward strip that is best suited for pulling out a canoe or small kayaks and probably not more than three or four. A motor would make that pretty awkward and row boats are pretty wide. You can tie up, but the wake around there can be substantial. I have anchored about 50 ft from the rock and used a tube to swim/float gear without any issue. 

Ok that makes sense. I was also oncerned about taking up all the beaching space. We have a solid anchor and can take a float tube to shuttle or pull the one kayak we have. Thanks so much for your help.

Tina Roberts wrote:

Does anyone/is it possible to use a small motorboat to access these climbs?

That's aid.

Tina Roberts wrote:

Does anyone/is it possible to use a small motorboat to access these climbs? If so, is there anywhere to beach it or would an anchor be necessary?

The water at the base of the slab is DEEP. You'll want at least 100' of rope on your anchor.  Maybe much more (I know there's some formula for this, so that the rope is pulling on the anchor at an angle rather than straight up.)

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply