Mountain Project Logo

Twisted rope

Original Post
Brent Lonius · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 0

I've tried flaking it in all sorts of manner. It's 70m and the tallest route at my local crag is only 25m so it's never fully off the ground. Will I ever untwist this rope?

David Hous · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 195

Yes: Every time you lead a sport route, lower off and pull the rope all the way through from the lead end. After 5-6 routes it should be much better. I never have much luck flaking out the kinks.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 275

Put the middle of the rope around a post, tree or mailbox. Lay the entire length of the rope out, flat on the ground Put your ATC on both strands of the rope (like you're getting ready to rappel with your harness on), right by the post. Walk backwards all the way off the ends of the rope. Should untwist it. 

Adam Password · · Timbuktu · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 0

I had the same problem with a 70m 9.8. I just make sure that my final rap of the day, I make contact with ground and either walk backwards until all the rope passes through the ATC or I pull it through or have my partner pull it through. That is if I don't have enough room to walk backwards. I find that keeping a prussik attached while doing so helps to mitigate the cluster and assist in straightening the strands before it passes through your ATC. 

Hope I aided in the confusion, lol. 

Khoi · · Vancouver, BC · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 45

If you have a Trango Cinch or the Trango Vergo, recalled or otherwise, you can pull the rope through it under slight tension to work out the kinks and twists. Yes, your deltoid muscles will be burning...

David Hous · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Nov 2001 · Points: 195

Well I'm glad the Vergo is good for something ;-)

(I'm a little bitter since I just sent mine back for the second time)

khoi: I see you collect belay devices, PM me your address and I'll send you the old devices from the bottom of the gear bin.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply