Mountain Project Logo

Easy Sport/TR near Temecula

Original Post
Nate Doyle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

Where do most people head this time of year to beat the heat and get young children on TR?

Looking to head out for a day midweek. Hoping to find a place that has easy access (no 4WD), an easy approach with easy Sport/TR routes near Temecula. I'm willing to drive an hour or two to get some elevation if need be, of course.

Going to take my 8-year-old out for some father-daughter time and a couple easy routes would be nice (1 or 2 routes is fine; 5.6ish) 

I started to look over some of the Route Guide for the Inland Empire, San Bern. and San Diego but, thought it would be quicker to just ask if anyone has some suggestions?

Thanks!

Justin Ling · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2016 · Points: 0

I have been trying to figure this out myself as this has been my first summer climbing outdoors with any frequency. Seems like Holcomb is the place. a nice 10-12 degrees cooler than Taquitz for similar elevation. plenty of easy single pitch routes. 

David Vogel · · Lake Forest, CA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 1,300

IMHO check out Ortega falls if you want something nearby Temecula. It's a one spot place to climb but may have everything you want. There's an easy 5.7 with 2 chains to TR or a couple other harder TRs. If driving bit farther is not a concern I say get some elevation for more options and cooler weather and scenery. 

Nate Doyle · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 10

Appreciate it, Justin! Lots of areas and routes but, looking a little sparse for what I've described. I saw Holcomb in my own search, in fact. May be an option like you said.

Thanks, David! That looks nice and close. Is it safe to assume an early start is best?

If anyone else has other suggestions, by all means, please keep them coming.

David Vogel · · Lake Forest, CA · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 1,300

Ya Ortega ought to be early or late start for best weather. Midday imagine would be hot. Also you canCheck out Hungover Wall at Keller Peak, in Running Springs. 40-50 ft. Shade all day. Also up the road is Keller peaks children's forest which has some more sport and TR around 30 ft. 

Daniel T · · Riverside, Ca · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 35

There are a few 5.7/5.8 routes (I know a little tougher  than you wanted) at Frustration Creek near redlands.its an awesome afternoon to evening spot.

claudio ricardez · · ESCONDIDO · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 55

You can try Keller Peak area too in Running Springs. It is a bout 1 to 1.5 hours faster than getting to Holcomb depending on traffic, and it's a nice setting.

check out Childresns Forest area and Dinosaur Rock. Hungover Wall area is cool but mostly 5.10 and above. If you get there early in the week yuo can probably get a yellow post canp site too.

Carlos S · · Corona · Joined Jan 2016 · Points: 15

I'll second Ortega Falls. Very easy to set up a top rope, a few easy routes, and very shady in the late afternoon. Alternatively, there's a small crag down the road from Ortega Falls named San Juan Canyon. 5.8/5.9 are the easiest grades, but you can usually count on having it to yourself if Ortega Falls is packed.

The San Bernardino's have quite a few areas that might be good for you and your kids.  The Children's Forest has a few formations you can scramble up the side of and build a TR anchor. The climbing isn't very tall, but the climbing is relatively condensed into a small area. Deep Creek across the highway also has some 5.8 and under climbs you can build a TR anchor for and there's also the bonus of swimming if you feel so inclined. There are a few easy climbs in the Castle Rock area and there's always Holcomb if you want to brave the crowds.

Howard · · Costa Mesa, CA · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 2,077

If anyone is interested in hitting up midweek any of the Big Bear crags mentioned, let me know.  I've been out to many of them a fair amount and also have the Hidden Treasures east guide.  (Just got back from climbing some of the lesser known crags at Holcomb.) Thanks!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply